BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Handbraking rear wheels individually?

• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2016 06:31 #174927 by NickR
Hi,

While I wait for lighter, warmer evenings to return so that I can start on my planned lift and other mods, I was pondering what else to do to the Jimny. I am not planning on massive mods.

One thing that I end up doing every time I play off-road is spinning 2 opposite wheels as I get cross-axled. I don't want to go to the extremes off diff lockers etc, so I was thinking about whether I could apply the brakes to one wheel to regain some traction. Again, for ease, the rear is easiest with mechanical handbrake cables. As the handbrake cables are separate until the equaliser just under the floor, extending them inside and finding a way to pull each one individually seemed a potentially non-complex mod with some real benefit. Maybe just clamp one at a time so the standard handbrake only pulls one via the equaliser. All I need to do is work out a way to do it :)

Has anyone tried anything similar? And does anyone know whether the handbrake on the Jimny is strong enough for this? I am not looking to brake a moving wheel to slow the entire vehicle, but just to lock up one side of the axle enough to drive the other from stationary.

Nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2016 07:17 #174928 by facade
You are talking about fiddle brakes, which were very popular in The Olden Days on trials vehicles, when they were made from old Ford Populars.

They possibly aren't road legal, but no-one manages to pint out why- it is most likely due to the imbalance if you apply one at a time as an emergency brake.

Have a search, try this thread first

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=to...39768&layout=default

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2016 07:19 #174929 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Handbraking rear wheels individually?
I have used fiddle brakes on a Landrover and they are good in tight turns (locking the inside rear wheel) but
that is using the hydraulic system. I have had some success with the Jimny in a cross-axle just by using the
normal hadbrake applied about 3/4 of full as it acts like a poor mans LSD. :)

More
26 Nov 2016 07:26 #174930 by facade

1066Boy wrote: I have had some success with the Jimny in a cross-axle just by using the
normal hadbrake applied about 3/4 of full as it acts like a poor mans LSD. :)

I remember doing that to get moving in The Olden Days when we used to have Proper Snow and I had a Proper Car with a sack of sand in the boot a V8 and a BW 35 gearbox that only drove the rear wheels :)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2016 07:43 #174931 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic Handbraking rear wheels individually?
Thanks facade. I wonder if Jo King ever got them made up as a kit. That looks a great solution. For ease and speed of application (as per the video in that link), 2 levers is going to be hard to beat (apart from 3 in total!!) Looked very effective though.

I shall have to check the legality of it. Maybe a second cable to each drum would be needed to leave the legal system intact.

1066Boy - I have never actually tried using the handbrake while spinning a wheel! Seems so obvious now you mention it :)

Nick

More
26 Nov 2016 08:09 #174932 by facade
They are pegged together for road use, but without the swinging compensator, they will need very careful cable adjustment.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2016 08:47 #174933 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Handbraking rear wheels individually?

NickR wrote:
1066Boy - I have never actually tried using the handbrake while spinning a wheel! Seems so obvious now you mention it :)

Nick

Got lots of practice with my old Hi-Lux, no difflock and a very light rear end. It was just the same with my KJA. :laugh:

• NickR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2016 10:05 #174935 by NickR
Replied by NickR on topic Handbraking rear wheels individually?
You can tell I am new to Suzukis as I had to google what a "KJA" was :)

Had a quick scan of the MOT manual. There are a few key phrases :

It must be:
"designed to prevent at least two wheels from turning"
"Hydraulic parking brakes as a sole means of operation are not acceptable"
and specifically has a section for extra brakes
"This inspection applies to all vehicles with a secondary brake operating mechanism in addition to, or in place of, the normal parking brake lever. "

MOT rejection reasons include
"the parking brake is not capable of being maintained in operation by direct mechanical action only"
"A parking brake lever or control inappropriately repaired or modified. "

and lots of catch-alls about condition, obstructing smooth action etc.

So, there will be a lot down to the individual opinion of the MoT tester, but I can't see that cable operation of one wheel is a no-no as long as it leaves the main system working. Extending the individual cables to separate fiddle levers, so the normal system is unaffected would be good, but that is in the massive grey area about obstructing the mechanism. A simpler system to clamp/block an individual cable so the handbrake only acts on the other wheel might be the way to go as it may be easier to demonstrate to an MOT inspector.

Food for thought in the winter months anyway :)

Nick

More
26 Nov 2016 13:45 #174940 by jackonlyjack
i would have thought it easier to use 2x motor bike front leavers
and tee into brake lines near to the wheels :unsure:

Jack

More
26 Nov 2016 14:07 #174942 by facade

jackonlyjack wrote: i would have thought it easier to use 2x motor bike front leavers
and tee into brake lines near to the wheels :unsure:

Jack

How would the normal footbrake work then?

More
26 Nov 2016 16:32 #174946 by jackonlyjack
i'm no brake expert but wouldn't the pedal brake work just the same
because all your adding is 2 more reservoirs with a cylinder on each

Jack

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2016 17:45 #174947 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Handbraking rear wheels individually?
Perhaps a NRV in each main brake line up stream of the tee in?

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds