BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

More clutch woes

More
04 Feb 2015 18:40 #136898 by minibbb
More clutch woes was created by minibbb
Had my clutch changed last month but not the cable. I noticed the bite point was v low and slightly too much free travel however decided not to bother adjusting it and I would just get used to it.

I've noticed now at the bottom of the pedal travel when changing gear a creaking noise . Doesn't sound great tbh!
Also when pulling away in first I sometimes get a sort of groan noise- I though this was due to the release bearing needing changing however surely the garage would have done this with the new clutch kit?!

Any ideas on these issues? I'm wondering whether a new cable would be the fix for the creaking noise on gear changes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Biasmechanic
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2015 18:50 #136901 by Biasmechanic
Replied by Biasmechanic on topic More clutch woes
The creaking noise will likely be just the pedal, every Jim I've been in has a creaky pedal, both my clutch and throttle pedal creak will spray some grease on them some day.

The groan could be a worn gearbox mount, it could be allowing the box to touch the car when pulling away in first. The way to check is get underneath and see if you can lift the rear of the gearbox.

More
04 Feb 2015 20:25 #136916 by minibbb
Replied by minibbb on topic Re:More clutch woes
Thanks mate- the throttle was creaking so lubricated the spring by the pedal which cured that. Tried it with the clutch pedal but no joy. It didn't creak at the bottom before.
Good idea with the gearbox mount- I'll give that a try!

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2015 13:58 #136963 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic More clutch woes

Biasmechanic wrote: The creaking noise will likely be just the pedal, every Jim I've been in has a creaky pedal, both my clutch and throttle pedal creak will spray some grease on them some day.

The groan could be a worn gearbox mount, it could be allowing the box to touch the car when pulling away in first. The way to check is get underneath and see if you can lift the rear of the gearbox.

Yep, my pedals creak a bit as well. Everything in a Jimny creaks, it's what they call "character"...

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2015 10:27 #137051 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Re:More clutch woes
The groan when pulling away is most likely to be the rear engine/gearbox mount, they delaminate over time. get underneath and see if you can push the box up (where the shaft comes out) if you can its shot, replacement is £30ish from Martin. Can become hard to get into 1st and reverse aswell.

More
06 Feb 2015 14:41 #137066 by minibbb
Replied by minibbb on topic Re:More clutch woes

jonesyba420 wrote: The groan when pulling away is most likely to be the rear engine/gearbox mount, they delaminate over time. get underneath and see if you can push the box up (where the shaft comes out) if you can its shot, replacement is £30ish from Martin. Can become hard to get into 1st and reverse aswell.

Really handy reply thanks mate- I'll get on to that! First and reverse can be reluctant so could well be related :)

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2015 18:14 #137082 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Re:More clutch woes
No worries.

Mines on my to do list................has been for a while :blush:

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds