BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Short snorkel fitting

• Vinnie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2014 14:16 #129569 by Vinnie
Short snorkel fitting was created by Vinnie
Anyone fitted a short snorkel ? I've got no destructions and really can't see how the round flexy pipe fits to an oval hole and is water tight or how the other end fits to the original plastic part ?

Cheers vinnie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2014 14:35 - 15 Nov 2014 14:45 #129572 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Short snorkel fitting
My apologies Vinnie, I did query it with my supplier, but they don't have any instructions :(

Some resources though -

www.bits4vits.co.uk/shortsnorkeltemplate.pdf

www.fts4x4.com/upload/Image/products/jimny_snorkel.jpg

s916.photobucket.com/user/ZookFastback/s...?albumview=slideshow

(With thanks to Paul, another BigJimny memmber who bought ne from me, for this one)

And this might help in some general ways... me fitting a genuine Safari Snorkel to mine -

www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/fitting-a-safa...-jimny/blog_250.html
Last edit: 15 Nov 2014 14:45 by X8GGY.

• Vinnie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2014 14:47 #129573 by Vinnie
Replied by Vinnie on topic Short snorkel fitting

Jimny-Dave wrote: My apologies Vinnie, I did query it withmy supplier, but they don't have any instructions :(

Some resources though -

www.bits4vits.co.uk/shortsnorkeltemplate.pdf

www.fts4x4.com/upload/Image/products/jimny_snorkel.jpg

s916.photobucket.com/user/ZookFastback/s...?albumview=slideshow

(With thanks to Paul, another BigJimny memmber who bought ne from me, for this one)

Cheers Dave but surly that flexi pipe isn't right going onto that oval part on body itself with a load of mastic ?
The flexi is steel reinforced so its not going to crush up and seal ??

I thought I had to cut other end though

Cheers vinnie

• Leathery1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2014 19:57 #129629 by Leathery1
Replied by Leathery1 on topic Short snorkel fitting
Vinnie i will talk to you about this tomorrow as i have done and it works well.

• Vinnie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2014 20:03 #129634 by Vinnie

Leathery1 wrote: Vinnie i will talk to you about this tomorrow as i have done and it works well.

It's on. But that flex pipe is dia

Vinnie

• Leathery1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2014 20:10 #129635 by Leathery1
Supplier siad thats the trade off when you buy a cheap snorkel!
I wasnt impressed with that response but it can work really well. I didn't buy it for the price but cos I prefer the look of the short one, dont like the big plastic pipe down the wing.
Took a bit of plastic welding and some big jubilee clips to get it right but is well sealed and a neat job.

• Leathery1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2014 20:13 #129637 by Leathery1
Mind you that was quick Vinnie, you must have been worried after our last little trip. I must admit water on the bonnet with no snorkel is a bit worrying! Looking forward to tomorrow, the recent rain will have made a couple of lanes interesting but no fords this time lol

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2014 21:12 #129645 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Short snorkel fitting
Don't know if this is the same cos it is Aussie made, in Mordialloc, but here are the the 3 pics I took as I fitted it.

No instructions but it did come with a hole template. 1st remove the mudguard black liner to get at everything. Once I drilled about a million holes I then painted the raw surface with Cold Gal. Removed the complicated looking pipe from inside the wing and fastened the wrinkle pipe with a liberal amount of silicone to the air box where the filter remains. Rest of the fitting was uncomplicated. I didn't use the bracket supplied for the upright section, just siliconed it to the pillar using 1" by 1/2" foam pads to let the rain, dust and twigs slip through.

Later on I removed the forward facing snorkel ram and replaced it with a $25 pre-filter to catch the bugs and dust. It makes a huge difference to how often you have to replace the paper filter in the air box.

Pre-cleaner fitted to top of snorkel

That's about it, apart from putting the mudguard liner back in to keep everything clean.

• Vinnie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2014 22:06 #129651 by Vinnie

Leathery1 wrote: Supplier siad thats the trade off when you buy a cheap snorkel!
I wasnt impressed with that response but it can work really well. I didn't buy it for the price but cos I prefer the look of the short one, dont like the big plastic pipe down the wing.
Took a bit of plastic welding and some big jubilee clips to get it right but is well sealed and a neat job.

Yep that's why I brought it just thought it looks better.Think the other one is £20 more ?? so price wasnt the issue ,But the kit how its supplied is not good I know Dave is only supplying them and not making up kits so I've got no gripe with him, but that flex pipe with reinforced wire is to big to fit to the existing plastic and certainly won't fit to a oval hole which the circumference overall is much smaller.All it needs is a rubber pipe with two 90 degree angles job done

• Vinnie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2014 22:09 #129652 by Vinnie

ZookFastback wrote: Don't know if this is the same cos it is Aussie made, in Mordialloc, but here are the the 3 pics I took as I fitted it.

No instructions but it did come with a hole template. 1st remove the mudguard black liner to get at everything. Once I drilled about a million holes I then painted the raw surface with Cold Gal. Removed the complicated looking pipe from inside the wing and fastened the wrinkle pipe with a liberal amount of silicone to the air box where the filter remains. Rest of the fitting was uncomplicated. I didn't use the bracket supplied for the upright section, just siliconed it to the pillar using 1" by 1/2" foam pads to let the rain, dust and twigs slip through.

Later on I removed the forward facing snorkel ram and replaced it with a $25 pre-filter to catch the bugs and dust. It makes a huge difference to how often you have to replace the paper filter in the air box.

Pre-cleaner fitted to top of snorkel

That's about it, apart from putting the mudguard liner back in to keep everything clean.

That pipe isn't the same as uk supplied looks much better as more rubbery

More
18 Nov 2014 22:27 #129977 by pgatensuk
Replied by pgatensuk on topic Short snorkel fitting
I've yet to fit mine, but did have the same thoughts, that fitting a flexi pipe to oval plastic might be troublesome.

I brought mine after reading Zookfastback's review and then dave doing a deal.

Just not had time to fit.

Hopefully it won't be as difficult as it seems.

Fingers crossed.

Paul

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2002 Jimny Soft top - Sold
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2001 Kerry Blue Terrier - RIP
2012 GoldenDoodle

• Vinnie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Nov 2014 17:19 #130036 by Vinnie

pgatensuk wrote: I've yet to fit mine, but did have the same thoughts, that fitting a flexi pipe to oval plastic might be troublesome.

I brought mine after reading Zookfastback's review and then dave doing a deal.

Just not had time to fit.

Hopefully it won't be as difficult as it seems.

Fingers crossed.

Paul

Hi Paul

I ended up using the old 90 degree inlet angle it fits a treat around the oval part

Then cut the straight section of the old plastic piece from under wing liner for sleeve to stop crushing then fitted the flex to that
Will change that flex for a rubber pipe as it was temp as was laning on Sunday and needed it on

Cheers vinnie
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds