BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Road orientated tyres

More
31 Oct 2014 19:35 #128036 by pgatensuk
No posts for two years and now three posts in one evening!!

I'm in the market for new tyres that are little more road orientated than my current sets -

205 75 15 Goodyear Wrangler AT
195 80 15 Kuhmo KL71 MT

I have been thinking about Continental - Crosscontact At - 205/70R15 96T as I like the idea of AT tyres that is lightweight.

The Crosscontact's are fairly lightweight (under 11kg each) and are 50% road 50% off road tyre with a thinner single ply sidewall, which will probably be fine for more normal Jimny driving.

IMO if you use your JamJam as a daily drive, the bigger tyres screw up the fine balance of the Jimny. I am currently running the 205 75 15 Goodyear Wranglers and the are OK, but the MPG suffers. Can't get more than 32mpg tops. Whereas the original Bridgestones can manage 36mpg on a good day. The Kuhmos are great off road, but not a daily drive tyre IMO.

Any Pavement Princesses running Conti Crosstracks? Or any other suggestions?

Cheers
Paul
Hertford

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2002 Jimny Soft top - Sold
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2001 Kerry Blue Terrier - RIP
2012 GoldenDoodle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WARRIOR-GREY
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2014 13:02 #128089 by WARRIOR-GREY
Replied by WARRIOR-GREY on topic Road orientated tyres
I'm running Maxxis Bravo 771 A/Ts 225 75 15 and they are excellent on and off road plus they are relatively inexpensive to buy, plus over the last couple of weeks I've found them a brilliant tyre in the wet.

More
01 Nov 2014 14:16 #128090 by pgatensuk
Replied by pgatensuk on topic Road orientated tyres
Hi Warrior-Grey,
Surely the MPG isn't so good with the 225 75?

I have found that the 205 75 Goodyear Wranglers affect the acceleration and also the MPG. That's why I'm going back to the standard size.

Cheers

Paul

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2012 GoldenDoodle

• Blitz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2014 14:49 #128093 by Blitz
Replied by Blitz on topic Road orientated tyres
After extensive looking all AT tyres will affect MPG because of their tred patterns and construction. HT is the way to go but these can differ quite a lot so research. Iv just fitted all weather tyres which will out perform AT and HT in winter snow ice and rain but not for off road use. MPG not as good as standard road tyres because of the tred pattern.

In short Eco tyres give excellent MPG but useless in winter and get stuck on a gravel path :-)

More
01 Nov 2014 18:39 #128118 by pgatensuk
Replied by pgatensuk on topic Road orientated tyres
It all comes down to a compromise.

I like the look of conti's as they have a slightly aggressive tread, but are a kilo or two lighter than the other tyres on the market.

Anyone out there used the conti crosscontacts?

Paul
Hertford

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2012 GoldenDoodle

• WARRIOR-GREY
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2014 13:22 #128327 by WARRIOR-GREY
Replied by WARRIOR-GREY on topic Road orientated tyres

pgatensuk wrote: Hi Warrior-Grey,
Surely the MPG isn't so good with the 225 75?

I have found that the 205 75 Goodyear Wranglers affect the acceleration and also the MPG. That's why I'm going back to the standard size.

Cheers

Paul

Everything is running ok with the slightly bigger tyres. I opted for wider tyres for better grip on the road in the wet which has paid dividends recently.

More
03 Nov 2014 15:41 #128336 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Road orientated tyres
Remember bigger tyres will put your odometer out so you need to factor in the % change in when calculating your MPG. The drop in economy with bigger tyres is always there, but it isn't quite as bad as the odometer makes out!

More
04 Nov 2014 22:16 #128517 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Road orientated tyres

Busta wrote: Remember bigger tyres will put your odometer out so you need to factor in the % change in when calculating your MPG. The drop in economy with bigger tyres is always there, but it isn't quite as bad as the odometer makes out!

i'm running 195 80 15's. my sat nav makes this size near as perfect for the speedo reading. i understand as standard the speedo reading will be slightly under actual speed. this will have an effect on mpg

standard jimny - for now

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds