BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Axle change

• hAndy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2013 10:41 #93968 by hAndy
Axle change was created by hAndy
hi guy, can i fit an ABS axle on a 2000 Jimny, my swivels are well rusty and ripping seals to bits, i can get a
2006 axle locally?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2013 12:45 #93982 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Axle change
If you are buying the axle case, and putting your innards (diff and halfshafts/CVs) into it, I believe so.

The differential ratio changed when the electrical transfer box was introduced, around 2005-2006, so the complete axle will be no good for running in 4wd, but should physically fit.

TBH, unless you have seen the axle, the ball ends will likely be as rusty as old iron from the bottom of the sea, and a breaker will describe them as "excellent/as new condition"

Mine were, and I attacked them with a couple of those flapwheels for the drill, and emery cloth, then repainted, and they have lasted 3 winters so far.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:

• hAndy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2013 18:36 #94033 by hAndy
Replied by hAndy on topic Axle change
Thanks facade, I'll stick with mine, I've done a castor correction job on it and put a bit of spray on the swivels like you but never had time to do a decent job,

recently changed the king pin bearings etc. to sort the old death wobble, changed a few ball joints had the wheels balanced and tracking checked yesterday but not much better so with rusty swivels and wobble was a bit disheartened and made a few enquiries for a replacement.

i'll try to shim them tomorrow.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds