BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tensioning power steering belt

• pat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 17:13 #59715 by pat
Tensioning power steering belt was created by pat
Does anyone have any tips about tensioning the drive belt to the power steering. The works manual I have shows a bolt which should be turned - but this bolt does not exist on my vehicle. It looks like you have to move the idler pulley, but how do you put pressure on this whilst it is being adjusted?

Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2013 18:38 - 26 Jan 2013 18:40 #59738 by facade
If you have the twin cam engine, the idler pulley has a hexagon hole in the middle.

What you do is try for half an hour to get a hex key in the hole, then remove the pulley, fit a piece of hexagon to the hole and refit. Then you can use a spanner to simply wind the pulley all the way and lock it in place.
This won't be tight enough, but as long as the belt doesn't get wet, it will be ok.

(you could always fit a new belt, but the one the motor factor will sell you is too long, so you need the size off the old belt and get one 10mm shorter.)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jan 2013 18:40 by facade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.081 seconds