BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4wd problem

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2013 18:22 #58523 by MWells
Replied by MWells on topic 4wd problem

Jacqui wrote: Glad to hear you got your 4wd problem sorted Lynnskatz!

I love my 02 jimny which I got in September. Its had a lot of previous owners but was a good price so we decided to go for it anyway. Had a bit of a nightmare time sorting out all the issues and general lack of care from previous owners. Thought it was just about under control and only a cosmetic bonnet issue after a fire to sort out!! when today of all days, in South Wales, we have now discovered that the 4wd is not working...arrrrghhh! Already has flexible hoses so not a corrosion issue. If anyone has any suggestions they would be gratefully appreciated. Hubby still got to work in it this morning though so still impressed.

Probably a leak some where in the system. The hubs can be made to lock manualy followings this that way you should have 4 wheel drive unless something more untoward is wrong with the drive line somewhere. I and a few others have done it with no real problems, parts in the front axle will get slightly more wear long term but i know i would rather have working 4wd than not working.

HTH Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• badboy-jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2013 19:15 #58533 by badboy-jimny
Replied by badboy-jimny on topic 4wd problem
Manual hubs are the way forward. I got some on this site second hand and just managed to fit them in time for the snow. Vac system isnt good they nearly all break I here.On the plus side iv just been up a huge hill full off snow no problem, jimnys are cool :)

• Jacqui
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2013 21:35 #58715 by Jacqui
Replied by Jacqui on topic 4wd problem
Hi, thanks for the reply to my 4x4 problem, my hubby says he will check the system and he's quite sure that there is no light on the dash indicating that the drive is engaged. thanks again for the info it has helped no end. Jacqui.

• Jacqui
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Jan 2013 18:36 #59737 by Jacqui
Replied by Jacqui on topic 4wd problem
Hi all, just a quick update on my 4x4 problem. Hubby went through the system as described and found that the 4x4 controller box was not working and not sending any kind of signal for the transmission to engage. He replaced it today,and I am pleased to say that he got a result and I now have 4x4 transmission.
The controller box is just a small black box situated up under the dash on the drivers side and has a yellow plug going to it. I hope that this will be of some assistance to others that may have a similar problem.

• Laminak
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jan 2013 19:47 #59881 by Laminak
Replied by Laminak on topic 4wd problem
Hi all B)
I have a problem too with my 4WD system :sick:
I change all my caoutchouc vacuum hoses by silicon hoses.

One of pipe was blocked. I freed it (is it correct :whistle: ).

But I have no "clack clack" from my hub.

Do you think that I have leak in my vacuum pipes???

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds