BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

split charge system

• jayjay1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Dec 2012 14:27 #56108 by jayjay1990
split charge system was created by jayjay1990
hi
im fitting a split charge relay soon for a second battery im aware of how they work and how to fit as ive done them before

my question is , ive read that i cant connect and load to the altinator bulb wire

how have people got round this ?

jay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2012 16:09 #56118 by facade
Replied by facade on topic split charge system
I suspect that most people simply parallel the batteries.
You could fit a 200A cut off switch and simply turn it on when the engine is running.

You can get a simple voltage sensing relay for a split charge, probably work better as it will drop out if you try to winch on a flat battery rather than set fire to the split charge wiring.

I've never thought using the ignition light to trigger a relay is a good idea.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• jayjay1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Dec 2012 21:27 #56146 by jayjay1990
Replied by jayjay1990 on topic split charge system
i want a split charge system had to many flat batterys when winching lol so not going down the parrelel route

i know they can be fitted as a mate had one fitted but he now has sold the jimny and he dosnt know as it was allready fitted

so please if anyone has a split charge relay fitted what is theres wired to

More
24 Dec 2012 22:18 #56150 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic split charge system
I used an intelligent voltage sensing relay.

• jayjay1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Dec 2012 20:10 #56281 by jayjay1990

supergaz wrote: I used an intelligent voltage sensing relay.

Could you please post a link please for the one you used to give me a brief idea on what it dose and how it fits

Cheers mate

More
26 Dec 2012 20:14 #56282 by supergaz
I'll get you details when its light, i got it from my local auto electrical place. Wasn't that expensive either, its only 60 amp so not to much pulled through alternator

• jayjay1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Dec 2012 20:30 #56283 by jayjay1990
So how is that wired in matey

More
26 Dec 2012 20:50 #56288 by supergaz
As usual, it detects battery voltage and once supply battery is high enough it engages. It is great as It does not require a trigger wire, which can affect some cars.

More
26 Dec 2012 21:11 #56290 by facade
I've been trying to mind my own business on this one :blink: but

Personally, I'd fit a split charge diode pack, they are about £70.

Disadvantages:
  • They waste power the greater the charging current the greeter the voltage drop and the greater the power loss, won't stop the batteries charging up though.
  • Cost
Advantages:
  • the batteries don't connect together, so the winch battery can never drain the starter battery. However, trying to winch on a flat winch battery will short circuit the alternator, don't know what will happen, likely the alternator will self limit once the voltage collapses as it will run out of field current.
  • Easy wiring, chop into alternator charge lead, take one diode to each battery, only needs 70A cable.

• www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/-c-366.htm...51850d26e4a6987172b6

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Dec 2012 21:34 #56297 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic split charge system
Like this...

More
27 Dec 2012 01:08 #56315 by facade
You can modify the alternator to sense the actual voltage at the starter battery, and overcome the diode voltage drop problem.

The cheapest solution is to join the battery positives with a great thick cable, then insert a battery isolator switch into the link. Turn it on when the engine is running to charge both batteries in parallel, and off to isolate the winch battery.

This has the advantage of being able to use the winch battery to jump start the car if you left the lights on overnight.
The disadvantage is forgetting to turn it off.

• jayjay1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2012 08:00 #56318 by jayjay1990
I'm not searching for the cheapest solution as I've allready spent the money on a 250a split charge relay, 120amp altinato
All the cable and 1000cca deep cycle batterys

Really this is my perfect set up for maximum power to run two winches so would rather stick with this rather than buy mor

I'm entering punch challenges next year hence wanting all this power and fast charging

All I need is somwhere to trigger the relay I'm thinking about trying it of a ignition triggered 12v source IE stereo

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds