BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Wheel wobble...........!!!

• jimbob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2012 07:26 #55489 by jimbob
Replied by jimbob on topic Wheel wobble...........!!!

phippj1 wrote: Thats great to hear jimbob, Im going to have a look at doing mine then as it will cost nothing.

Having never payed much attention to the steering box it is obvious what screw is it that you tighten?[/quote

My truck has neve drove better till I adjusted the steering box screw I hope it works for you :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JimnyJu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2013 13:49 - 02 Jan 2013 14:18 #56896 by JimnyJu
Replied by JimnyJu on topic Wheel wobble...........!!!
Hi B)
I'm a new member and recent Jimny owner .
I found this great site by googling Jimny and petrol light! I didn't realise that there was no petrol light on a Jimny dashboard and ran out of fuel on Xmas eve trying to find a garage that was open!?!?
My Jimny suffers with the "wobble" occaisonally, mostly on the flat, at approx 45mph and most often when fuel tank is more than half full. The wobble goes when I reach 50 or go back down to 40mph.
Could you kindly advise me what parts of the car should be looked at or adjusted. I'm a very untechnical female but fortunately, or maybe not, :blink: my teenage son is a mechanic so what parts should I tell him to look at? Is it dangerous if the wobble isn't sorted.
Thanking you very much in advance for any help or advice
Last edit: 02 Jan 2013 14:18 by JimnyJu.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2013 19:41 #56943 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Wheel wobble...........!!!

JimnyJu wrote: Hi B)
I'm a new member and recent Jimny owner .
... I didn't realise that there was no petrol light on a Jimny dashboard and ran out of fuel on Xmas eve trying to find a garage that was open!?!? ...

Not knowing your year model but I thought all Jimny's had a gauge & a low level warning light, well mine has :(

Someone will help with you wobble I'm sure .... :whistle:

ps welcome the the forum .

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2013 20:01 #56947 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Wheel wobble...........!!!

JimnyJu wrote: ...I didn't realise that there was no petrol light on a Jimny dashboard and ran out of fuel on Xmas eve trying to find a garage that was open!?!?

Oooooops! I tend to fill up when the fuel gauge needle points near empty :laugh: Sorry :whistle:

JimnyJu wrote: My Jimny suffers with the "wobble" occaisonally, mostly on the flat, at approx 45mph and most often when fuel tank is more than half full. The wobble goes when I reach 50 or go back down to 40mph.
Could you kindly advise me what parts of the car should be looked at or adjusted. I'm a very untechnical female but fortunately, or maybe not, :blink: my teenage son is a mechanic so what parts should I tell him to look at? Is it dangerous if the wobble isn't sorted.

Mine does this with one set of wheels, but doesn't with the other set of wheels I use. Try finding a tyre place that can balance the wheels properly by bolting them onto the balancing machine (in the same way the wheel bolts onto the hub) rather than using the centre point mounting that clamps the wheel through the centre bore.

More
02 Jan 2013 21:00 #56963 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Wheel wobble...........!!!

JimnyJu wrote: I didn't realise that there was no petrol light on a Jimny dashboard and ran out of fuel on Xmas eve trying to find a garage that was open!?!?

The Jimny has twin trip meters, like a motorbike, and it remembers what trip it was last displaying too. Simply zero the trip when you fill up, then fill up when it shows 200 miles (It should do about 250-260: you can cut it as fine as you dare)

JimnyJu wrote: My Jimny suffers with the "wobble" occaisonally, mostly on the flat, at approx 45mph and most often when fuel tank is more than half full. The wobble goes when I reach 50 or go back down to 40mph.
Could you kindly advise me what parts of the car should be looked at or adjusted. my teenage son is a mechanic so what parts should I tell him to look at? Is it dangerous if the wobble isn't sorted.

Get him to change the swivel (kingpin) bearings (they are always gone on a jimny) and the swivel housing dust seals if they are worn. There is a "how to" on the front page.

The only advice you might need is
  • Never ever use 4wd on clean tarmac
  • A jimny can be very tail happy in the wet or on a slippery surface.

• Apart from that: enjoy B)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimnyJu

• JimnyJu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2013 11:42 #57038 by JimnyJu
Replied by JimnyJu on topic Wheel wobble...........!!!
Thank you All. I do normally fill up after 200 but then someone said Id be alright for maybe 40 miles when the light came on. Haha and the light never came on, cos there wasnt one :blush: It was on red so I shouldn't have left it so late
I'll try and zero the trip moniter but wasn't able to do that when I initially tried.
I also have had the wheels balanced but not sure how it was done and it made no difference.
I'll get my son on the case with the Kingpins etc thanks for the advice.
Is there a nack of getting out of 4wd when in it? I did drive about 20miles on tarmac when I couldn't get it out of 4wd. My Jimny is a 2004 model

More
03 Jan 2013 14:12 #57047 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Wheel wobble...........!!!

JimnyJu wrote: I'll try and zero the trip moniter but wasn't able to do that when I initially tried.

On my 2000 model, each press of the button cycles between A > B > odometer.
With it on A or B press and hold the button for about 5 seconds longer than you think, and it jumps back to zero.

JimnyJu wrote: I'll get my son on the case with the Kingpins etc thanks for the advice.

He can check them for play, but they are always gone, they rust and wear, it is only the tightness of new bearings and the friction in the dust seal that prevents wheel wobble. New bearings are relatively cheap.

JimnyJu wrote: Is there a nack of getting out of 4wd when in it? I did drive about 20miles on tarmac when I couldn't get it out of 4wd. My Jimny is a 2004 model

Either jack up a front wheel, or simply drive on a slippery surface like wet grass and it will come out.
What happens is when you turn the front wheels try to travel further than the back ones, and this literally "winds up" the axles (like those liquorice twists we used to eat as kids). On mud the wheels can slide a bit to release the strain, on tarmac the strain gets released when a CV joint breaks :ohmy:

In general 4wd is for when the car won't move at all or you find that the back of the car is overtaking the front all the time.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds