BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Cut out switch

More
25 Nov 2012 19:23 #54157 by Obarno
Cut out switch was created by Obarno
I need to fit an FIA type cut out switch to my Jimny Trialler. At the minute it has a cut out on the positive wire from the battery, but if you cut the power with the engine running, it won't stop as the alternator feeds the ECU, pump etc. The FIA type have 2 extra pairs of contacts, one pair normally open and the other pair normally closed.
The normally open pair I am going to use to earth the alternator through a resistor so that it can't back power the ECU etc. The other pair would normally cut the live feed to the coil but as the Jimny (it has the G13BB engine) has a pair of coil packs where would be the best place to cut the ignition power. Or is it even necessary as if the alternator is earthed the engine should stop anyway, and the main contacts will cut the battery power.
Does anyone have experience of this? Thanks.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2012 20:05 #54160 by MWells
Replied by MWells on topic Cut out switch
Not sure if it is of any help but try contacting Blakey24 on Devon4x4 forum as I'm sure he had to do the same on his jim.

Mark

More
25 Nov 2012 21:28 #54177 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Cut out switch
Thanks Mwells, will try that.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2012 17:31 #54222 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Cut out switch
cut the ignition feed in the back off the switch so its as thow you have turned it off by the key

More
29 Nov 2012 17:43 #54443 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Cut out switch
Well, I fitted the new FIA switch today, and I can tell you that earthing the alternator through a resistor doesn't stop the engine! So I had a look at the wiring diagram and its very difficult to decide where to interupt the ignition circuit. What I have done, I am not sure if its a terrible bodge, or a good idea! There is a fuse that protects the ignition circuit so I had a look at accessing the back of the fuse holder, but my body doesn't seem to bend any more to the contortions necessary to get at the wiring, it probably never did! So I took the fuse out, put a blade connector on 2 bits of wire, an inline fuse, and connected the wire to the normally closed contacts of the switch. So if you turn the keyoff it interupts the power and the engine stops.
I suppose the only problem is if the wires drop out of the fuse holder, but they seem to be held in place ok by the lid. If I do have a problem all I have to do is put a fuse back in.
So is that a bodge??!!

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds