BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Odd idea for winter

• DVs-Jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2012 02:40 #53114 by DVs-Jimny
Replied by DVs-Jimny on topic Odd idea for winter
I had a choice. Wipers or heater, else it miss fired PMSL :) Good old dynamo's :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2012 06:58 #53116 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Odd idea for winter
Don't you have a garage to keep your car in? If you have to be mobile instantly, seems to me a garage is the only way to go. Or am I missing something? Don't have much snow in Oz although I am reliably informed we have more snowfield acreage than Switzerland but it doesn't stay for long.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2012 07:43 #53118 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Odd idea for winter
People moaning about people not reading posts then they go copy mine awsome work

More
13 Nov 2012 08:09 #53120 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Odd idea for winter
I like the 12v heater idea which is where I was going with the solar panel idea and battery in the original post. However a timer is no good. I have 5 minutes to get 1.7 miles to work. This includes getting out of bed, dressed and out of the house. A pager gets me up when I need to go so I wonder if I could link the signal that triggers the pager to turn the heater on?

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
13 Nov 2012 08:29 #53122 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: Odd idea for winter
For the last few years my cars have had heated front screens and they have not been exclusively Ford owned. (Rover group, BMW, Ford, tata).

You need heaters in the car that come on in the morning on a timer ;)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2012 08:30 #53123 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Odd idea for winter
Sounds like a cover is going to be the only way to go, anything else is going to take too long to warm up and defrost.
Maybe a full cover won't stick like just something over the windscreen.

More
13 Nov 2012 11:56 #53131 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Odd idea for winter
Sounds like the timer idea is no good as he doesn't know when the pager is going to go off and thus when he will be required but has only 5 mins to get himself up, together and travel.

You could do with some sort of remote start so the first thing you do when the pager goes off is press the remote to start the car, having left the heater on full blast when you left the car.

The only thing is I still don't think the car would have warmed up enough to have cleared the screen and wotnot before you need it.

Have you tried that de-icer that you put on the night before? I've used it but didn't think much of it and foundit just smears the screen. I don't know if there is a better version around.

What do so the members that live in colder climes do??

In respect of the why don't you put it in a garage question - not everyone can afford a property with a garage. I used to rent them but now I'm fortunate to be in a position to own a house with a big garage.

Trouble is when the weather is rubbish the Jimny needs to be the car at the front of the drive and the garage is at the back of it. Moving the BMW out of the way to access the garage isa no no as it can't move on snow and ice. So the Jimny stays out in the elements.

I don't have to be somewhere within a few mins of a pager going off these days though!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2012 18:31 #53156 by Dave cc
Does the pager work over the mobile network ??? if it does you could add a second number to the pager to alert the GSM remote control switch to operate and turn the heater on

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2012 18:36 - 13 Nov 2012 19:57 #53158 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Odd idea for winter

Dave cc wrote: People moaning about people not reading posts then they go copy mine awsome work

i was taking the p*ss as smoggy put it up first :laugh:
Last edit: 13 Nov 2012 19:57 by markyp2000.

More
13 Nov 2012 18:46 - 13 Nov 2012 18:47 #53162 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Odd idea for winter
I think Monwhea Jeng must have a collage degree in can hot water freeze. :dry: :huh: :S :pinch:

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 13 Nov 2012 18:47 by dirtydogz.

More
13 Nov 2012 18:48 #53163 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Odd idea for winter

Dave cc wrote: Does the pager work over the mobile network ??? if it does you could add a second number to the pager to alert the GSM remote control switch to operate and turn the heater on

I'll have to check that I don't think it does, my work has its own aerial and box of tricks. I'll have to contact one of the comms guys.

The spray on the night before stuff doesn't work for me either

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2012 19:18 #53169 by Dave cc
Sounds like you just need to build a Jimny docking station lol

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds