BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

What wheel spacers for standard rims, tyres and wheel arches?

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 23:44 #51826 by GuardianAngel
I would like to fit some wheel spacers and wanted to know what size offset I could use if I stick to the standard rims, tyre size and wheel arches?

Also would I need to fit extended wheel bolts?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 23:56 #51829 by markyp2000

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2012 00:16 #51831 by Dave cc
Use at your peril the extended stud are made from rubbish steel spend the extra few quid and buy the spacers that bolt to the hub with HT nuts then have HT studs coming out of them to bolt your wheels to

www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/wheel-spacers/s...pacers/prod_292.html

More
01 Nov 2012 15:18 #51870 by Halford
I fitted the cheaper one's - see here

the cheaper ones have been fine for me for highway use, but the more expensive blue machined aluminium spacers are obviously better and are recommend for those extra stresses that off-roading would put on them

;)

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2012 18:41 #51886 by Dave cc
Each to there own all im saying is rub a file accoss the extenion stud somwhere where it doesnt matter then do the same on a wheel stud you will instanly feel the diffence.
Hex bar that they are made from is mild steel or even in some cases free cutting or leadloy as it was nicknamed and is way down in strenght far below an 8.8 grade bolt as for wheel studs they are way up around the the stenght of 12.9 grade allen bolts so you are introducing a weak link betwwen your wheel and hub by using extenion studs
:woohoo:

More
02 Nov 2012 08:33 - 02 Nov 2012 08:34 #51931 by Halford
you're quite right, but where not talking about drag racing :laugh: :laugh:

like I said, the blue ones are better, hence they're more expensive. The bits4vits aren't as good and hence cheaper - but they still appear to work fine for loads of people on this site.

If you can afford it go for the blues and if that's just pocket change for you, then why not go for the best option - offset rims :evil:
Last edit: 02 Nov 2012 08:34 by Halford. Reason: xx

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2012 11:26 #51944 by Keefe
I'm not having a 'pop' here but I bought the Grayston ones yonks ago for my Delica, I only looked at one of the spacers and a set of 'studs' and assigned them to the section in my garage for, 'Oops! Wasted my money again!' stuff. Horrid things in my opinion.

A mate of mine, sadly now departed, cadged them off me as a freebie. I didn't want him to have them but he ended up with them, I did say not to fit them but he did.

One day, after travelling down the M1, he leaves the motorway and is 'doing' normal road speeds when his right rear wheel overtakes him, just as the Delica leans over rather dramatically.

It would appear that an extended stud failed which led to the other five failing with the result above.

So personally, the solid billet ones for me, whether on or off road.
I do have the bigger offset wheels on mine so don't need the spacers, although I do have a set of billet ones. LoL!

Please don't flame me for my comments, each to their own and all that but I was put off straight away by the quality on opening the box the Grayston ones came in.
There again, if I go on a fair ground ride like the waltzers etc, I look at the state of the pins connecting the 'carriage/tub' to the arm and usually think, "Jeeeeesus!"

Sits back and waits on the flamethrowers! :-)

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Nov 2012 12:01 #51947 by GuardianAngel
This is all good debate and useful for Jimny noobies like me. Im all for paying more for better quality kit if justified.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

More
03 Nov 2012 16:50 #52086 by Halford
:P this topic has always been a topical issue

Re: Wheel spacers - Yes/No ? 1 year 4 months ago post by bluejimny = Rus at Jimnybits

well as what was mentioned before, with B4V selling over 800 sets and no troubles i can believe that as ive sold over 200 sets of cast types and same again never had any problems from people and ive sold over 200 sets for big 4x4's eg L200 Hilux etc and same again never had any problems, either there fine or people just dont tell me when theres a problem?

;)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2012 17:34 #52095 by markyp2000
shorely if there not save and made from poor metal then thay shouldnt be sold i have a set on mine iv had no problems (yet) but as long as they are torqued up correctly and not over tightened to stress the metal then all should be fine and the blue ones are made of alloy how are the studs fitted are they fitted from behind like normal studs or are thay threaded in?

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2012 21:27 #52167 by Dave cc
Ive made loads of custom wheel studs over the year simple rule either you pay to have them made from EN24T or go get them made by someone who doesnt care holding wheels on with studs from mild steel or worse is stupid and wreckless just remember you mite loose a wheel and grind to a halt spare a thought for the others on the road who it mite hit

• Carrow
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2012 09:56 #52201 by Carrow
Hi,
I was in the same situation about 6 months ago, as to which spacers I should go for, billet or stud extension by Grayston. I decided to get the Grayston spacers, due to there popularity amongst other Jimny owners. I have had them on now for 6 Months, I drive 42 Miles commute to work, 5 days a week, which includes a Motorway , I check the wheel nuts and tyre pressures once a week as suggested in the handbook, and never had a problem. I was told by an aircraft engineer, that car wheels are actually held onto a hub using surface to surface compression grip, the wheel grips the hub (metal to metal), the wheel nuts just keep the compression. So as long as all wheel nuts are of equal force, they maintain there metal to metal surface grip. This is why its important NEVER to use grease on wheel to hub mating surfaces or wheel nuts.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds