BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Heaters and Steering

• Jasoncmccann
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 19:52 #51794 by Jasoncmccann
Heaters and Steering was created by Jasoncmccann
Hi Everyone,
Just bought myself a 2002 Jimny soft top for a bit if fun.
Everything seemed fine but I have got some issues after driving couple of days.
1. Heaters not blowing very hot.... Put new thermostat on and seems bit warmer but once driving it cools again bottom return pipe from matrix is staying quite cold so could it be blocked ? When I was topping up radiator and it was flushing through heaters seemed to get a bit hotter, but again cooled down when driving. I am replacing radiator cap tomorrow but could matrix need flushing properly ?
Please advise me if any other tips.

2. I tried out the 4WD, everything seemed to engage and 4WD light came on I then put back to 2WD and light went off. As I was approaching next round about I had no left steering, but right was normal. I managed to get to safe place and I re-engaged and disengaged 4WD and tried turning steering to left it felt jammed then clunked and was fine.
Seems ok now but there is definitely more right hand lock on steering than left, I proved this by looking at wheel angle in full lock.
Again any advice would be appreciated.
Regards
Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 19:59 - 31 Oct 2012 20:04 #51795 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Heaters and Steering
sounds like it could be blocked flush it backwords ie through the cold pipe
but them again it could be the water pump

as for the steering when put in 4wd you should here 2 loud clicks and when put back in 2wd to quiter clicks

i had the same problem turning right it turned out i had destroyed a cv joint and one of the ball bearings was jamming the hub up are you shore the 4wd is 100% working

start it up but in 4wd and jack one front wheel up and see if it turns then lower and then do the same the other side if one turns then the 4wd isnt working as it should
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 20:04 by markyp2000.

• Jasoncmccann
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 20:22 #51798 by Jasoncmccann
Replied by Jasoncmccann on topic Heaters and Steering
Thanks for such quick response !
How would I diagnose water pump ? Engine temp is normal ... No overheating issues.

Any how to 's on CV joint replacement as I am quite concerned that it could lock up anytime.

Also could you explain a bit further on testing 4wd ...bit of a dum un I am.

Jase

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 20:35 - 31 Oct 2012 20:36 #51800 by markyp2000
testing 4x4 system start it up put it in 4wd and jack up one front wheel and see if it turns round then lower and then jack the other side up and see if it turns if one turns then the 4wd isnt working as it should

or you could have an air lock in the cooling system what engine do you have

replacing a cv joint remove vacum locking hub remove sirclip on half shaft remove brake pads and pad carrier and disc then remove 4 bolts holding the brake back plate on remove outer hub and there is the cv joint
Last edit: 31 Oct 2012 20:36 by markyp2000.

• Jasoncmccann
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 21:05 #51802 by Jasoncmccann
Think engine is 1.3 DOHC Reg 2002
Cheers
Jason

More
31 Oct 2012 21:12 #51804 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Heaters and Steering
If it's a soft top it will be G13BB SOHC engine.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 21:22 #51807 by markyp2000
he is right

More
31 Oct 2012 21:37 #51809 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Heaters and Steering
A bit late now, but you should never use 4wd on a grippy surface like tarmac, as soon as you try to turn, something, usually a CV joint, will break.

4wd is for mud, loose surfaces and possibly ice only.

The usual sign that you need 4wd on icy or snowy roads is when the back of the car tries to overtake the front with small throttle opening. As soon as you see black tarmac, back into 2wd.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Jasoncmccann
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 21:45 #51811 by Jasoncmccann
Just testing the experts G13BB it is .....
I have had 2 shoguns and an L200 and in the wet you had to use 4WD otherwise backend would go all the time.
Why can't you use 4WD on Jimny if conditions are wet and slippery ?
I will take back to garage to check steering !
When I tried 4wd it was on gravel all seems fine in straight line but when I switched to 2wd it would not steer left.
Again thanks for help everyone.
Cheers
J

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2012 21:48 #51812 by markyp2000
you cant use 4wd in good condition cos there is no center diff so there is no slip in the transferbox and you can get wind up in parts then it goes BANG

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2012 08:26 - 01 Nov 2012 08:28 #51839 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Heaters and Steering
heater definitely isn't right they are really good if everything is working right!!

First thing to check is the heating is actually set to hot. The heater flap is connected to a white plastic arm just to the left of your clutch pedal, pretty easy to knock and disconnect the cable. Can't remember which way is fully open but check it by moving it by hand...

Secondly could be an air lock, put the heater on full, take the radiator cap off and let it run up to fully hot (whilst you are stationary obvioulsy), give the water pipes a squeeze to try and force out any air, and keep it running for 10 minutes or so. Top up any water as necessary. Personally I like to make a temporary header tank out of an old bottle and stick in the top of the radiator with some more water in just so it is definitely the highest point in the engine bay.

Thirdly it could be a blockage, think about back flushing....
Last edit: 01 Nov 2012 08:28 by goatboy. Reason: typo

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2012 18:17 #51882 by markyp2000

goatboy wrote: heater definitely isn't right they are really good if everything is working right!!

First thing to check is the heating is actually set to hot. The heater flap is connected to a white plastic arm just to the left of your clutch pedal, pretty easy to knock and disconnect the cable. Can't remember which way is fully open but check it by moving it by hand...

Secondly could be an air lock, put the heater on full, take the radiator cap off and let it run up to fully hot (whilst you are stationary obvioulsy), give the water pipes a squeeze to try and force out any air, and keep it running for 10 minutes or so. Top up any water as necessary. Personally I like to make a temporary header tank out of an old bottle and stick in the top of the radiator with some more water in just so it is definitely the highest point in the engine bay.

Thirdly it could be a blockage, think about back flushing....

you say put the heater on full do you mean just fully over to hot of put the heater fan on fully
i wouldnt put the heater fan on fully as this will cool the water down only to be reheated and it would take longer to warm up that way
and its more likly to be blocked if one of the pipes is cold and the other is hot

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds