BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Diff or wheel bearing problem?

More
10 Oct 2012 19:06 #49936 by facade
Sounds stupid I know, but check the FRONT wheel bearings too.

I had a rumbly whiny noise from the back axle, most definitely the back. Got a tame mechanic to sit in the back and declare it was the diff: "put some molyslip in and forget it"

Jacked up the back and there was play in the offside rear wheel bearing, and turning the wheel produced a horrible notchy whirring.
So I changed the bearing.
No difference.
I fitted a S/H diff, same notchy feeling. :(

The noise gradually worsened.
Then one day I jacked up the nearside front, and the wheel was loose, wheelbearing shot.
New front bearing and the noise when driving went away. :blush:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2012 16:14 #49992 by kirkynut
Did you see One Car Too Far this week? If so, what happened to their jeep when their half shaft snapped is what'll happen to your Jimny if the wheel bearing fails. At whatever speed you are travelling at.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• ne-crock
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 16:55 #49996 by ne-crock
Replied by ne-crock on topic Diff or wheel bearing problem?
no i never saw it, to be honest i've never even heard of it?

i'm going to have a pop down to my local garage on monday, good chaps very helpfull have them to check it out and see what the problem might be,

risk it for a biscuit ;)

• ne-crock
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 19:44 #50030 by ne-crock
Well an oil leak has now developed on my n/s wheel,

LOoks like a bike ride to work till pay day :(

Lets hope for good weather!

More
11 Oct 2012 21:43 #50039 by kirkynut
It's safer and it won't kill you or anyone else. It is a pain in the backside though I appreciate - but on the positive side, at least you are sure of what the issue is now though!

You need to watch it if you have SKY. I think it's on Discovery and Discovery HD at 21:00 on Tuesday's. The first episode was this week.

Here is a clip of the problem and how they over came it - but I wouldn't use the same solution on the road!

dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/one-car-too-far/videos/log-wheel.htm

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• ne-crock
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2012 22:26 #50048 by ne-crock
Yeah its a question answered,

looks like a good little show, i wont be driving anywhere with a log strapped to my car mind, deffianately on the 'to watch' lists!

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds