BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

soft top leaking...

• ne-crock
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2012 10:32 #48841 by ne-crock
soft top leaking... was created by ne-crock
so after this heavy rain fall we've had it turns out my roof is leaking, its only a year old -_-

i've just covered it in dubbin hopefully that will solve my problem,

i'm just wondering if anyones had this problem before and how they've fixed it,

i'm not replacing the soft top as i have plans in place to change my roof but i'm just after a quick fix for now?

cheers
crock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2012 11:11 #48848 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic soft top leaking...
I've used "ArmorAll" on all my convertibles since I discovered the product in the early '70's. Owned a couple of mini mokes back then, still got the Californian Moke and still got its' original roof which is in near perfect unrestored condition. It keeps vinyl supple and stops it cracking. Keeps the vinyl waterproof and is claimed to be a UV blocker. The product is non-toxic, non-hazardous, non-injurious and non-flamable, gives vinyl a glossy coat. Restores already dried vinyl and stops any further deterioration. Can smudge clear plastic windows but is easily cleaned off with warm soapy water.

I swear by it. B) It's the bees knees!

File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Top is is my 40yo moke roof & bottom is 3 yo Jimny roof

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Sep 2012 12:54 #48858 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic soft top leaking...
as far as I can tell there are 2 types of material used for the roof (I have one of each! :S )
One is like a vinyl fake leather sort of thing, the other is more like a soft weave material.

If its the vinyl type the front section can go a bit dry and split where you fold it back (this happen to mine), and also leak along the seams.

I think the soft material one is more likely to become un-water-proofed though. Autoglym do a hood cleaner and rewaterproofing kit for this type of material that I have used and works really well.

The other thing to check is all your seals are properly seated and not gone hard...

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds