BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

HID Spotlight Wiring

• Dawson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2012 15:57 - 22 Sep 2012 15:58 #48544 by Dawson
HID Spotlight Wiring was created by Dawson
Hey everyone, have been lurking here for a while and PM'd Martin a while ago to pick his brains about spotlight wiring - said I'd post up the setup I was working on when it was all finished, so here it is!

I always try to keep my cars looking standard so this set up for HID spots actually uses the OEM foglights on main beam only. Not nearly as a good as a dedicated spot setup I know, but I feel on main beam the Jimny (understandably) loses a lot of light close up and this setup was designed to counter that - I guess they're more floodlights than spotlights?!

Anyway, the reason I thought it might be interesting to others is that I adapted a readily available HID harness you can pick up on eBay for £10 or so - if you're thinking of mounting spots on the front of the Jimny there should easily be enough wiring in the kit & it makes everything really simple.

This is the sort of harness I'm talking about:

eBay link (no affiliation!)

and here's a diagram of the changes you have to make:

Because I like the option of being able to return the car to stock at any point I got the switching feed via a H4 connector - again, pretty cheap for a pair on eBay - which I spliced into instead of the car's wiring:

As I was running the wiring to the foglights I attached the ballasts here:

... but obviously you mount them close to wherever your lamps will be!

Fitting HIDs to the OEM Cibie fogs is a bit of a faff, but doable - the unique(?) twist-close holder that holds the H3 bulbs has a similar tab layout to H10 bulbs, so with a bit of tab filing (and a wee dab of sealant to make sure it's 100% sealed) you can slot them in place of the holders.

For me getting it all working and tidy was worth the effort - there's now a huge amount of light in front of the car and it actually stretches quite far into the distance too. That's the beauty of HIDs I guess, and these are only 35w!

(Personal preference to go for the 3000k bulbs as I have yellow caps on my bulbs, again just a preference! I believe the 4300k bulbs are a pretty good match for standard halogens.)

Hope that makes sense anyway and might help someone out! :)
Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 15:58 by Dawson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2012 19:17 #48629 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic HID Spotlight Wiring
KABUMP!

With Winter about to slide back in to our lives. Lights and HID are a cool and safe mod. Glad you said Fogs and not main lights. Without projectors IMO HID's are dangerous retrofit upgrade in std lights.

Good on yer mate. Looks a nice neat install and obvious increase in luminosity B) B)

• Dawson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2012 20:24 #48639 by Dawson
Replied by Dawson on topic HID Spotlight Wiring
Thanks! Just figured the setup - and adapting the HID harness especially - might be useful to people :)

Totally agree with putting HIDs in standard lights, and even retrofitting them into older projector-style lights rarely works from what I've seen - or rather what I've been blinded by! - on the roads. I think HID upgrades should be for main beam only, either with spots or, if you're really lucky and have separate bulbs for main beam, in the mains-only portion of your lights. Just IMO though obviously ;)

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2012 20:36 #48643 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic HID Spotlight Wiring
Could not agree more :)

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds