BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rust, Hand brakes and rear lights!

• J-Bro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2012 06:21 #48515 by J-Bro
Rust, Hand brakes and rear lights! was created by J-Bro
Hey

My dream car (strangely) has always been a Jimny (in black) amazingly my dreams came true a couple of days ago! So far so good. I love it! But there are few things unsure about.

Rust: Lots of rust in the boot from under rear seats to the rear door. I had the best look I could before I bought it! But I guess you don't see everything until you get it home. Only some spots are weak. Has anyone just welding plates over the rusted area?

Handbrake: The handbrake light is always on. Sometimes goes off but useally on. I've checked all brake fluid levels and brake lights. Could it just be as simple as the hand brake sensor? And are they easy to get too?

Rear lights: above the reverse light is there suppose to be any lights? Ie brake/side lights. Or at night do I just relie on the bumper ones and the strip?

Any help would be great!!!

Suzuki Jimny - 2000 JLX
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gromit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2012 08:30 #48520 by Gromit
Replied by Gromit on topic Rust, Hand brakes and rear lights!
Must people just weld plates over bad areas.

Sounds like a faulty sensor, sorry don't know where.

No lights in top ones, just reversing and rear fog . I have fitted some small marker rear sidelights above the upper ones.

• Nelson83
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2012 08:37 #48521 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Rust, Hand brakes and rear lights!
My black jimny has an iffy handbrake light - always has and always will :-P somebody mentioned ages ago thats its to do with the ignition key - when you've fired it up and it stays on, turn the key back a tiny amount - literally a mill or so, and it goes off :-) works for me and saves an expensive dealer fix

• J-Bro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2012 08:38 #48522 by J-Bro
Replied by J-Bro on topic Rust, Hand brakes and rear lights!
Thanks for the help!

• J-Bro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2012 08:39 #48523 by J-Bro
Just had at go at that! Works a treat! Thankyou!

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2012 11:16 #48536 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Rust, Hand brakes and rear lights!
There is a simple make braker sensor just in front of handbrake below the shroud.

More
22 Sep 2012 13:12 - 22 Sep 2012 17:47 #48538 by j999pre
There is also a sensor on the steering column that is what usually has issues and tweaking the key sorts

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS
Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 17:47 by j999pre.

• J-Bro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2012 14:09 #48541 by J-Bro
Fantastic reponse! Much appreciated

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2012 16:48 #48547 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Rust, Hand brakes and rear lights!

j999pre wrote: There is also a sensor on the steering column that is what usually has issues and tweaking the sorts it.

what sensors is this the hand brake light is as smoogy said it just a switch and the fluid levels works the same sort of way with a flot either the level sensor earths out or the lever switch earths out and light comes on

More
22 Sep 2012 17:16 - 22 Sep 2012 17:42 #48550 by j999pre
Take your column surround off and you will see two writes leading to a little black square sensor. This is the sensor that can cause the handbrake/fluid level warning light to come on as well as faulty handbrake and fluid level sensors. This sensor may be purely for the column to read that the key its there and that a weak barrel return spring its the real cause but it sorted my problem.

Just turning the key back a little also sorted it as did turning the key with a but more of a flick. When I changed the barrel the problem disappeared.

Try it. Start you jimny then turn the key again a fraction towards start and you will get this light on.

Obviously this would have to be done on level ground with the handbrake off. I've just tried it on both mine and the light came on so there its a link to the warning light from or through the ignition.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS
Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 17:42 by j999pre.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2012 11:48 #48591 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Rust, Hand brakes and rear lights!
thats a sort of self check system also if you do that it cuts off the heater blower motor so in turn its not the box thats the problem is the ignition barrel/switch

• J-Bro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Sep 2012 11:55 #48592 by J-Bro
I've tried the wiggle of the key. The hand brake light is off now (apart from when handbrake engaged)

Even when the key is out and engine off. And I go back to start it stays off so seems to be working fine now.

Thanks for all the help

You guys know your stuff!

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds