BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

electronic gear selection switches

More
18 Sep 2012 20:36 #48329 by pgatensuk
Is it me, or is it too easy to accidentally select 4WD switch on the VVT model without noticing it?

Twice recently I have been driving along the road only to notice that I have accidentally selected 4WD.

What sort of damage or wear could this cause?

Last night, I must I covered 5 miles up the A1 before I spotted the 4WD light was on the dash.... Yeah, I know I should see the optician :laugh: .

I am thinking of modding the switch so it is not so easy for it to be accidentally selected.

Cheers

Paul
Hertford

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2002 Jimny Soft top - Sold
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2001 Kerry Blue Terrier - RIP
2012 GoldenDoodle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Joakae
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Sep 2012 21:09 #48332 by Joakae
Replied by Joakae on topic electronic gear selection switches
It shouldn't be easy.. also I think that the clutch has to be pushed (or car in neutral) and then hold the button for about 3 seconds. There will also be a beep tone to tell you you're in

• blakey2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Sep 2012 22:10 #48335 by blakey2000
Replied by blakey2000 on topic electronic gear selection switches

Joakae wrote: It shouldn't be easy.. also I think that the clutch has to be pushed (or car in neutral) and then hold the button for about 3 seconds. There will also be a beep tone to tell you you're in

that depends on the year and only for 4wd Low. 4wd high can be put in at any speed up to i think highway speed. 4wd high goes in at anygear and clutch in or out and is just a quick press.

my year 05 jimny 4wd low is also just a quick press but it can fail to go in some times and it doesnt need the clutch in at least iv never had to have it in.

as for damage it should be find unless you have been doing tight turns on bitumen might cause some abnormal driveline wear but nothing overly bad for a short distance as for going straight should cause no problem really.

• Joakae
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2012 06:10 - 19 Sep 2012 06:12 #48339 by Joakae
Replied by Joakae on topic electronic gear selection switches
Oh right. Mines a 2012 and when I brought it there was a big as piece of card telling me to ensure the wheels are straight and the car is in neutral or clutch is pressed before moving into h or l 4wd. Also to be stationary when selecting 4wdL only.

As for damage when driving on roads in 4wd, expect a shaft to go pop pretty quick as everything winds up without the ability to skid the wheels round (to release tension as there's no central diff)
Last edit: 19 Sep 2012 06:12 by Joakae.

More
20 Sep 2012 05:59 #48412 by pgatensuk
Many thanks Joakee and Blakey2000 for the confirmation

It has been the 4WD and not 4WD-L that is engaging without me realising. I just wonder how many times this has happened to the previous old lady owner and she more and likely didn't realise. I bet this is a fairly common occurance with the later models.

I'm going to look at modifying the switch in some way, so it is not so easy to activate.

I recon the last time it happened was on the drive as left home and I did put full lock on before driving to the A1.

I think this looks like something for all to be aware of and look out for as it is just far too easy to engage 4WD on normal roads and knacker your running gear.

Cheers
Paul
Hertford

2005 Jimny VVT soft top
2002 Jimny Soft top - Sold
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki W800
2002 Twin boys
2001 Kerry Blue Terrier - RIP
2012 GoldenDoodle

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds