BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

How to replace rear shocks and what with

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Sep 2012 18:49 #48321 by GuardianAngel
How to replace rear shocks and what with was created by GuardianAngel
I have noticed one of my rear shocks is leaking so I want to replace both the rear ones.

However I have never done it before so is it an easy job? I have seen some generic Youtube vids but wondered if the Jimny is especially difficult?

Do I need any special tools? I am thinking specifically spring compressors.

Finally, I want to fit decent quality ones although not Uber expensive ones and I am not worried about lifting the Jimny in the future. I dont mind spending £40 - £50 per side. Should I also be looking to replace things like bushes/bolts whilst I am at it?

Cheers in advance

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Sep 2012 18:50 #48322 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic How to replace rear shocks and what with
search for it in the bar above you will find all you need there

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Sep 2012 18:56 #48325 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: How to replace rear shocks and what with
To be fair I did but couldn't find a definitive guide or advice I needed.

• myers647
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Sep 2012 21:02 #48330 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic Re: How to replace rear shocks and what with
Hi mate this is a very simple job even for someone with very basic mechanical skills. Leave the car sat on the ground no need to jack it up.spray both top and bottom bolts with WD40 a day or so before. I think the bolts are 17mm. the top bolt is tucked away so you will have to get under the car.I used a rachet ring Spanner to do this. then undo the bottom bolt and t will just pull away. The new shocks should come with new bushes. If you are thinking about lifting the Jimny then Id go for for a Pair of ProCom shocks from JimnyBits at £105 delivered they are very good and come with rubber bushes. If you go with these then you will most likely have to trim the bushes down with a stanley knife as they are a bit too wide.
The entire job both corners should take around 1 hour steady away.
If you need anything else I could forward you the pictures of where the bolts are.

Thanks hope that made some sort of sence Iv had a few cans tonight. :silly: :silly:
James

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2012 08:02 #48342 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Re: How to replace rear shocks and what with

GuardianAngel wrote: Hi mate this is a very simple job even for someone with very basic mechanical skills. Leave the car sat on the ground no need to jack it up.spray both top and bottom bolts with WD40 a day or so before. I think the bolts are 17mm. the top bolt is tucked away so you will have to get under the car.I used a rachet ring Spanner to do this. then undo the bottom bolt and t will just pull away. The new shocks should come with new bushes. If you are thinking about lifting the Jimny then Id go for for a Pair of ProCom shocks from JimnyBits at £105 delivered they are very good and come with rubber bushes. If you go with these then you will most likely have to trim the bushes down with a stanley knife as they are a bit too wide.
The entire job both corners should take around 1 hour steady away.
If you need anything else I could forward you the pictures of where the bolts are.

Thanks hope that made some sort of sence Iv had a few cans tonight. :silly: :silly:
James

Thats great, many thanks.

More
19 Sep 2012 10:20 #48351 by kirkynut
Be careful with the top bolts not to round them off as the go into captive nuts which corrode so they get seized in. As has been said, plenty of wd40 for days before will help and use a good quality spanner, if possible one that grips on the flats not the corners of the bolt head. Then put copper slip on the bolt when re-assembling to help for next time.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: GuardianAngel

• GuardianAngel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2012 11:25 #48356 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: Re: Re: How to replace rear shocks and what with

GuardianAngel wrote: Be careful with the top bolts not to round them off as the go into captive nuts which corrode so they get seized in. As has been said, plenty of wd40 for days before will help and use a good quality spanner, if possible one that grips on the flats not the corners of the bolt head. Then put copper slip on the bolt when re-assembling to help for next time.

Kirkynut

Cheers!

• nicho
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2012 18:06 #48380 by nicho
Replied by nicho on topic How to replace rear shocks and what with
hope the steel sleave in the bush has not cold welded its self to the bolt like mine did.its a pain.

More
19 Sep 2012 18:10 #48381 by j999pre
I found it easier access with the rear wheels off. Wd 40 and slacken tighten slacken tighten repeat.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS
The following user(s) said Thank You: GuardianAngel

• myers647
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2012 20:52 #48398 by myers647
Replied by myers647 on topic How to replace rear shocks and what with
This is a very good point, its better access with the wheels off but not a necessity.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds