BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Track Rod End Replacement

• The Dug
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2012 14:06 #48191 by The Dug
Track Rod End Replacement was created by The Dug
Hi All,

Had my Jimny for almost a year now and love the wee thing, however, I've had to get the passenger front bearings and seals completely replaced and now looks like the track rod ends are shot - steering off and got the old death wobble above 40mph. I don't grudge paying someone to do it but having just shelled out for the hub work I'd like to give it a go myself.

Is this an easy enough job for a novice to attempt? I'm very far from a car expert but I do work in engineering so (I think) I'm fairly practicle and decent with my hands.

Is there an idiots guide available (in the style of the kingpin bearing guide I've seen on here)?

It's an 03 estate by the way.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2012 14:17 - 16 Sep 2012 14:18 #48193 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Track Rod End Replacement
Hi Scott.
Go to information click on how to guide, you will find it in how to change tie-rod ends.
Hope this helps.
DIRTYDOGZ.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 16 Sep 2012 14:18 by dirtydogz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Dug

• The Dug
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2012 07:55 #48236 by The Dug
Replied by The Dug on topic Track Rod End Replacement
Thank's that's exactly what I'm looking for.

More
17 Sep 2012 11:28 #48247 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Track Rod End Replacement
That explains the sudden rush today in the store to buy tie-rod ends!!!

All orders should ship today although the Distributor had to pull some strings for me.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• The Dug
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2012 21:28 #48275 by The Dug
I certainly purchased 2 :)

Thanks for the fast service, I'm certain I'll be a repeat customer once I start the 'home mechanics' stuff.

Scott

More
19 Sep 2012 10:40 #48353 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Track Rod End Replacement
I managed to do mine in my garage/workshop recently. A bit of a soaking in wd40, a couple of big adjustable spanners, a vice and a big hammer had them undone. Still got to get it tracked up properly though.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• The Dug
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Sep 2012 02:36 #48411 by The Dug
That's the kind of thing I wanted to hear - got all that stuff and will soak the bolts in easol for a day or 2 so hopefully it should be a straight forward job.

More
20 Sep 2012 19:56 - 20 Sep 2012 19:57 #48430 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Track Rod End Replacement
A little tip Scott.

As you can see from the photo of the tie-rod ends, they have two different length threads so you will need to measure as in the photo, from the outside of the tie-rod end to the locking nut, so it fit in the same place as the old one on the steering bar.
Hope this helps.
Dirtydogz

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Sep 2012 19:57 by dirtydogz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Dug

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Sep 2012 20:02 #48432 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Track Rod End Replacement
good tip but personaly id mesure from the center of the ball joint as the diameter of the joint my be bigger/smaller but the distance from the center wont change

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds