BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2005 > Suzuki Double din DVD Touch screen Vs Other

• Joakae
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 18:18 - 02 Sep 2012 18:19 #47336 by Joakae
I've been shopping around a bit for a new head unit and I've come accross this:

Seems to be a direct match to the simple CD player that comes with the suzuki as standard (same buttons etc), except it's touch screen and plays dvds and whatnot. Does anyone have and experence with these? Looking at them they seem kinda cheap and I don't really like the UI but they almost look like a genuine suzuki product.

If this isn't an option then I might go for the Xtrons

www.xtrons.co.uk/2-DIN-car-dvd/7-Digital...VD-player-TD714.html
Reading the customer reviews they seem to have a mixed oppinon but seem to work okay again they're cheap and cheerful but looks more upto the job. Also won't fit as snug as the Suzuki one in the dash. Has anyone used one of these?
Last edit: 02 Sep 2012 18:19 by Joakae.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 18:27 #47338 by reaper
Does it ehave gps also ?
I saw the other day some 7" android tablets that fit in double din slots that seemed like a good idea although not sure how you would get it wired to your speekers without a seperate amp

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 18:32 #47339 by Paul4x4
I have the Xtrons TD695GD in my Jimny.

But I'm a little bit tempted to get me some android player in the future... :dry:

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 18:39 #47340 by reaper

Paul4x4 wrote: I have the Xtrons TD695GD in my Jimny.

But I'm a little bit tempted to get me some android player in the future... :dry:

Ooo now thats a nice bit of kit paul

• Joakae
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 18:44 #47341 by Joakae

reaper wrote: Does it ehave gps also ?
I saw the other day some 7" android tablets that fit in double din slots that seemed like a good idea although not sure how you would get it wired to your speekers without a seperate amp

The suzuki one does have GPS, rear camera functions. There are some 7" ones but all seem to actually by 6.2"

Anyone have any other recomendations? Looking for DVD player, TV and music mainly, don't really need the GPS

• Skinhead
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 19:02 #47342 by Skinhead
Attachments:

• Joakae
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 19:36 #47346 by Joakae

Skinhead wrote:

:-)

Haha nice, but not handy for driving around Europe ;p

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 20:38 #47356 by VAXXi
Well, I had a 2 DIN chinese GPS. It's not bad, but not that great either.

Cons:
- audio quality is not that great, distorts at high volume
- cheap touchscreens (resistive),
- whole system is actually a Windows CE for navigation software (limited choices) running in parallel with a chinese OS for controlling the audio/radio/cd/bluetooth parts
- budget hardware
- pain in the ass to navigate the interface while driving; your choice has buttons for most important tasks, but keep this in mind
- it has a fan, which gets noisy over time

Pros:
- reasonable build quality, much better than expected (DVD didn't skip a beat even on rough tracks, sliding screen did not had any problems at all)
- quite flexible in input/output options, external GPS antenna is a nice thing to have, usually there are two video inputs (auxiliary camera and TV)
- plays movies (but not every format)
- watching TV during a traffic jam is certainly nice :laugh:

Overall, it's a nice toy, but the small niggles you'll encounter might put you off. There's just one chinese model on the market right now, the tablet which docks into the car unit, but I wouldn't trust that in a jumpy Jimny. I ended up replacing it with an Alpine unit, much better audio quality and easier to use while driving (real buttons FTW).

• Joakae
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 21:04 #47359 by Joakae
Thanks for the reply :) I'm looking at these cheaper options (about the 150 mark) as I don't have 300+ to spend on my system. I was going to use a car amp I already have to improve in the sound quality, would you say that'd work?

The input output options do seem good, tv antenna and GPS will come in handy as will the 'reverse' camera. Might put it under the car for looking at clearance (will have to work out how to turn off reverse gear only mode..)

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 22:18 - 02 Sep 2012 22:21 #47374 by VAXXi
You don't need to put an amp if you keep the standard Jimny speakers. Even if you upgrade them with better ones, you will not find anything more powerful than 40-50 W in the small Jimny speaker sizes anyway, and the chinese player can drive them without problems (just don't forget the distortion at high volumes, you won't be able to stay in the car past mid-volume anyway so no worry).

If I remember correctly, the AUX input is automatically triggered by connecting a wire to the reverse lights, while the TV output *should* be disabled by connecting another wire to a speedo cable. Of course, if you don't connect that cable you can watch TV during driving just fine :laugh: and the AUX input can be selected manually (or you can simulate the reverse lights input with a simple switch if you prefer, but probably too much trouble).

Ah, and beware of the camera you get; many of them are simply crappy and even more crappy during night conditions (low light, that is).

Aaaah, and another thing: the chinese players come with a ISO harness, so either prepare yourself to cut the Jimny wires and solder standard ISO connectors, either get a Clarion-harness-2-ISO-harness adapter.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2012 22:21 by VAXXi.

• Japetus
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2012 08:48 #49081 by Japetus
Hi, I also have one of these chinese units and am totally satisfied from it, given its price.
The newer models haven't got a noisy fan but passive coolers. Along with the unit comes also a proper adapter for the clarion system, so putting it in is piece of cake.
What I didn't like is the interface of the music player and of the tv program. The buttons on the unit are really helpful for quick change between radio, navigation or other music input, so you don't have to figure out the way using the touchscreen while driving.
What I would have liked is a usb host input, so that one could connect an OBD device and have the readings on the screen.

I was thinking of installing a rearview camera since the unit supports it. Has anybody done it? Which is the best place to put it, and do you happen to know which color is the cable for the rear lights on the central lot of cables that goes from the front under the steering wheel to the back of the car?

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds