BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Retrofit Remote Central Locking Question

• Jimnyash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2012 11:14 #46738 by Jimnyash
A question for those who've retrofitted a Remote Central Locking kit to their Jimny.

Firstly, many thanks for Happypig for his instructions. I got the same kit and after struggling with the loom for the Power Door Locking module, everything is now fitted and working fine.

My question is this:

The kit comes with a couple of cables for "direction lights". Now, it turns out that these are for wiring in to your indicators so they flash when you lock/unlock and can also be used for locating your vehicle (as though you'd miss your Jimny in a car park!!).

The loom I have for the central locking is 8 cables (Type 3) which includes one which links in to the Hazard lights.

I've joined the "direction lights" cables to this, but I still get no flash when I use the fob.

Has anyone used these cables to get their indicators to flash? If so, how did you do it. It's just nice to be able to know you've locked your car when you walk away, or in the dark.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2012 12:14 #46741 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Retrofit Remote Central Locking Question
where did you connect it in to for the indicators to flash and how did you make the connection have you checked to see if the C/L unit is putting out a feed and have you connected the wires in the live side of the bulbs on the hazzard wire yousay you have what part of the switch does it say connect it to is it perminat live or the switched live on the switch

More
25 Aug 2012 12:47 #46745 by j999pre
Hi what year of jimny do you have jimnyash?

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• Jimnyash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2012 14:42 #46759 by Jimnyash
Replied by Jimnyash on topic Retrofit Remote Central Locking Question
HI guys.

It's a 2003 model.

I connected the cables to the Hazard Light wire which comes out of the Central Locking module.

As for the rest of the questions....???

The instructions which came with the kit are, to say the least, very very poor. I used Happypigs instructions for actually installing it.

I've not tried the cables with a multimeter, but it does click 3 times (once for each flash) when you press the lock button after it's already locked (the find your car flashes).

Maybe I could fashion some kind of mini loom to come in from the back of the hazard switch on the dash?

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2012 16:11 #46764 by markyp2000
dont run them to the hazzard switch take the trims off from around the indicator switch and find the wires to the indicator stork and wire one to the left and one to the right you can make a test light if you have a bulb and holder and some wire. or run a wire to the back of each bulb at the front of rear

ill be fitting a kit once mine is out of my garage and back on the road

• Jimnyash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2012 16:48 - 25 Aug 2012 17:00 #46766 by Jimnyash

markyp2000 wrote: dont run them to the hazzard switch take the trims off from around the indicator switch and find the wires to the indicator stork and wire one to the left and one to the right

Thanks markyp2000.

I'll maybe give that a go tomorrow. I can run some cables from there down to where the cables currently are.

So theres just one cable for left and one for right coming out of the stork? The Yellow/Green and Red/Green?
Last edit: 25 Aug 2012 17:00 by Jimnyash.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Aug 2012 17:43 #46770 by markyp2000
dont no the colour put it left and see what one flashes a live and right for the other

• Jimnyash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2012 11:14 #46864 by Jimnyash
OK.

Spent too much time on it this morning trying to get this to work.

I found the indicator cables from the stalk (had to find them on the connector at the bottom as getting to the stalk base was a swine).

I checked them with the multimeter and got a signal when the indicators were on. I also checked the cables from the remote locking box and that was putting out a signal too.

Put them together ---- nothing.

I tried running to the back of the bulbs and all that did was blow fuses.

What am I missing here? Is it something to do with negative switching or something?

More
27 Aug 2012 12:00 - 27 Aug 2012 12:08 #46868 by dirtydogz
If you wire up a set of spot light on a jimny the trigger wire go on the earth side not the live side of the plug.
So maybe the your wire needs to go on the earth side of the indicator bulb.
this is how l wired my spot light.

Hope this help.
DIRTYDOGZ.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Aug 2012 12:08 by dirtydogz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimnyash

• Jimnyash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2012 12:15 #46869 by Jimnyash
I did wonder if it was something like that. Trying the earth side of the bulb just popped the central locking fuse (unless I shorted it somewhere else).

Hmmmm....

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2012 12:50 #46873 by markyp2000
is the control unit your fitting putting out a + or - feed i no the switch put a + feed but im shore it wouldnt turn to a - pulse at the bulb also check the voltage the switch puts out to what your control unit is putting out

More
27 Aug 2012 14:47 - 27 Aug 2012 14:48 #46889 by facade
If it is any help

green wire/red stripe is left indicator
green wire/yellow stripe is right indicator
(the wires can be joined into at the hazard switch, column wires or anywhere in the main loom.)

The later cars use some bizarre switching at the column, and an electronic turn signal relay, that does left/right/hazard by itself.

In both cases, a live on the green wire/red stripe will put the left indicator on.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 27 Aug 2012 14:48 by facade.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds