BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Momentary grinding noise

• beyondtheduero
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2012 20:19 #44620 by beyondtheduero
Momentary grinding noise was created by beyondtheduero
I have only had the 2009 Jimny a few days, but I've noticed when I move away from a stationary position there is grinding noise for maybe one or two seconds. At no other time can I hear it and it seems when the car has been running a while it doesn't happen - for example pulling away from traffic lights.

It only happens after the car has been standing a while.

It appears to be coming from the underneath front part of the car.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2012 10:43 #44659 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Re: Momentary grinding noise
If it's a short "bzzzt" happening each time after you start the engine and move the car, it might be the ABS system being enabled after the engine has been turned off.

• beyondtheduero
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2012 11:12 #44663 by beyondtheduero
Replied by beyondtheduero on topic Re: Momentary grinding noise
Thanks

I've found out what it is! I began to think because it only happens after the car has been standing and the grind sounds controlled and mechanical: not a raspy grating, that it maybe the 4WD engaging in some way, either the traction or differential... wasn't exactly sure what I was talking about!... so I drove it 60kms to the Suzuki worksop in Badajoz who immediately told me it was indeed the traction engaging, common to 4WDs...

So I'm not just relieved but happy I didn't panic and think the main drive bearings were shot...

More
21 Jul 2012 12:18 #44670 by robs5230
sticky vaccum hubs

standard jimny - for now

• beyondtheduero
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2012 13:39 #44672 by beyondtheduero
Replied by beyondtheduero on topic Re: Momentary grinding noise
Huh...
So every time I start the car after it's been standing a while the vacuum hubs are switching from engaged 4WD to dis-engaged.
Why is that?... shouldn't they always be disengaged in 2WD until I decide to switch to them to 4WD.
Not sure how the system works but I guessed they would only disengage or engage with the driveshaft when you select 2WD or 4WD?

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds