BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Steering is still bad.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2012 11:56 #44262 by Nobby22
Steering is still bad. was created by Nobby22
Hi all

I thought i would ask you guys for help as the steering on the Jimny is realy becomeing annoying. It now has ORA corrected arms fitted and the steering is miles better, BUT. When iam driveing along the steering has loads of play in it and going around say a right hand bend i find iam haveing to turn the steering wheel to the left :ohmy: ! and vice versa. In a straight line it tracks ok but the steering wheel ends up i odd positions, sometimes it sits level other times it sites to the left or right. It just doesnt feel right when driveing and it tireing to drive on long trips.
I have replaced all the track rod ends and adjusted the bolt on the steering box to try and firm it up and it still handles like c**p. I have also replaced the kings pin bearings on either side. Any suggestions what it could be? Iam beggining to think it might be the steering box itself.

Thanks

Nobby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2012 12:37 #44265 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Steering is still bad.
when the jimny is standing still engine running how much movement has the steering wheel got before the road wheels move also what are the panard rod bushes like

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2012 18:05 #44282 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Steering is still bad.
With out checking i carnt say how much it mowes but its not that much as i checked that when i adjusted the steering box(the srcew is almost down full). It seems to be when driveing the steering just doesnt fell right, it takes big steering wheel movements to keep it straight. The panhard rod bushes are fine and i've cheched them.

Nobby

More
17 Jul 2012 06:37 #44309 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Re: Steering is still bad.
as you have replaced track rod ends i would have the car tracked up first but does seem like the steering box to me. not had it on a jimny but experienced it on an old landy . looks like cartoon like driving and very unnerving. what you say about going round a right bend and turning the wheel left is the slack in the box before it picks up .

standard jimny - for now

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2012 14:40 #44345 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Steering is still bad.
is the tyre size standard do you have off set wheels or spacers it could be that your running in what i call tram lines where lorries make groves in the road and your running in them i drive lots of dirrerent car along the same bit of road every day road testing cars and some are all over the road and others not bepends on the axle base to wether you sit in them on slightly on the edges of them

• ShuDuck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2012 15:20 #44354 by ShuDuck
Replied by ShuDuck on topic Re: Steering is still bad.

Nobby22 wrote: Iam beggining to think it might be the steering box itself.

I would think so. But it is easy to find out by turning the steering wheel back and forth, You`ll see if the movement of the steering wheel transfer through the box or if it ends there. Test it with the engine off

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2012 20:38 #44417 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Steering is still bad.

markyp2000 wrote: is the tyre size standard do you have off set wheels or spacers it could be that your running in what i call tram lines where lorries make groves in the road and your running in them i drive lots of dirrerent car along the same bit of road every day road testing cars and some are all over the road and others not bepends on the axle base to wether you sit in them on slightly on the edges of them

I think you may be onto something there . I have those offset steel modulars that most people seem to have :laugh:. The steering wheel posistion also seems to change depending on the camber of the road. Sometimes its like iam haveing to steer up to the left because the road is cambered of to the right. It makes me think the tyres may be to blame as well.
When the cars sitting still there isnt much play from moveing the steering wheel to the wheels starting to move. So maybe its not the steering box? Its so annoying as there is nothing obvious as to whats causing it. ShuDuck, i will got what your saying a go and let you know what happens.

Nobby

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2012 20:44 #44419 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Re: Steering is still bad.
When was the power steering fluid last changed ? Could be getting thin especially after warming up

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds