BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear half shaft extraction

• Goat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2012 08:19 - 14 Jul 2012 08:20 #44132 by Goat
Rear half shaft extraction was created by Goat
Went to change the rear wheel bearing yesterday but couldn't get the half shaft to come out. I think I need to invest in a slide hammer. Has anyone bought one recently, that would do the trick, that they would recommend?
Last edit: 14 Jul 2012 08:20 by Goat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2012 09:36 - 14 Jul 2012 10:36 #44137 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Re: Rear half shaft extraction
I made a shaft pulling/installing tool myself many years ago when I bought my first SJ.

First I made a flange that would bolt on to the brake drum studs on the shaft, and then welded some 20" long pipe to the center of it, and to the other end of the pipe needed obviously something to be hit with a hammer, so I welded some strong enough flat steel there so I could hit on it with a hammer to pull the shaft out.

The beauty of this contraption is, that it also helps a lot when installing the shaft back into axle housing, because it's kind of an extension to the shaft itself, so its easy to slide the shaft in without the risk of damaging the oil seal!

If that made any sense? :laugh:
Last edit: 14 Jul 2012 10:36 by Paul4x4.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2012 10:23 #44141 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: Rear half shaft extraction
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationi have 1 of these ive had it a couple of years now & is very good tool

More
14 Jul 2012 12:18 #44148 by facade
Try removing the drum. then putting the wheel back with the nuts half on (at least half) Then try snatching the wheel in and out a few dozen times.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2012 12:40 #44149 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: Rear half shaft extraction
Yeah ive got the same kit. Got it from machine mart, its a good comprehensive piece of kit but it still wouldnt pull my pitman arm off :angry:

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2012 13:24 #44150 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Rear half shaft extraction
every one is asuming that the person nos what he is doingi may be wrong but i take it you have undone the 4 bolts on the back of the brake back plateand the brake pipes and as facade said should work just make shore its surported well as you dont want to pull it off it axle stands

• Goat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2012 18:20 #44157 by Goat
Replied by Goat on topic Re: Rear half shaft extraction
Thanks for the replys everyone . Yeah I undid the 4 bolts and tried putting the wheel back on but it wouldn't budge.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2012 18:46 #44158 by markyp2000
is the back plate free its not stuck on with silicone or any other sealent if its not just tap it free with some wood and a hammer then put the wheel on and with out the drum and try spining it and hitting it with a rubber mallet or use the wheel as described as above

• Goat
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2012 20:57 #44163 by Goat
Replied by Goat on topic Re: Rear half shaft extraction
Yes it was hanging free. I was hitting the wheel with a lump hammer as hard as I could and nothing was moving. Even put the hub on the wrong way round and belted that with a lump hammer.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2012 21:14 - 14 Jul 2012 21:22 #44165 by markyp2000
does it have abs dont no if it makes a differece if the sensor is in or out take a look at renard38 jimny page 17 near the bottom has pics and videos
Last edit: 14 Jul 2012 21:22 by markyp2000.

More
14 Jul 2012 21:36 #44166 by mcjimny
If its never been off it will take a bit of work! Spray some wd40 around the end of the axle tube where the bearing sits, mine had corroded so much it was stuck the first time but i used the hitting the wheel with a hammer routine. I work my way round all the accessible parts of the wheel and it soon starts to move free. A deadblow hammer works well.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
15 Jul 2012 12:09 - 15 Jul 2012 16:55 #44185 by dirtydogz
Nick take a look at this video + photos from Renard38
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/20-fran...ents-de-roue-arriere
You will need to use a translator if you don't speak French.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Last edit: 15 Jul 2012 16:55 by dirtydogz.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds