BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

axle filler plugs

More
12 Jul 2012 15:34 #44029 by robs5230
axle filler plugs was created by robs5230
i eventually called in to the stealers and ordered a pair of axle filler plugs. i also ordered " gaskets " that were shown on the parts diagram on their screen.
i have a couple of questions before i blow torch mine loose -
1 are the gaskets necessary every time the plugs are removed ?
2 on the diagram at the dealers another part was shown - any idea what this might be ? do i have to order something else ?
thanks rob

standard jimny - for now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2012 22:53 #44059 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: axle filler plugs
1) no, re use the old ones unless they are damaged, they are only a sealing washer, and the oil doesn't come up that high except by splashing. In The Olden Days I used to anneal any copper washers that I took off things by heating them up with a blowlamp. Nowadays I don't bother, and they still don't leak.

2) not the faintest idea, need to see a picture.

The filler plugs usually come out fairly easily with a chisel to knock them round anticlockwise, and don't need heat.
The drain plugs need a smear of sealant on the threads when they go back. Anything oil proof will do.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
13 Jul 2012 05:36 #44064 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Re: axle filler plugs
oh no they won't :)
can't imagine when they were last undone . not shifting at all . chisel not budging them and i even bought a 10mm square tool which also will not move 'em . any ideas ??
thanks for the reply

standard jimny - for now

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2012 06:06 #44066 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: axle filler plugs

facade wrote: 1) no, re use the old ones unless they are damaged, they are only a sealing washer, and the oil doesn't come up that high except by splashing. In The Olden Days I used to anneal any copper washers that I took off things by heating them up with a blowlamp. Nowadays I don't bother, and they still don't leak.

2) not the faintest idea, need to see a picture.

The filler plugs usually come out fairly easily with a chisel to knock them round anticlockwise, and don't need heat.
The drain plugs need a smear of sealant on the threads when they go back. Anything oil proof will do.

Yeah I now realise this after not putting any on my gearbox drain plug. And now its dripping!

More
13 Jul 2012 16:21 #44095 by facade
The usual suggestion on here is to get a big bolt or piece of hexagon bar, file a slightly over 10mm square on the end, tap into the hole and weld it in, then undo it quickly whilst it is still hot.

Mine was tight enough to turn the square hole round, but chiselled out with a couple of taps, then I welded the hexagon in place off the car.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:

More
13 Jul 2012 19:08 #44110 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Re: axle filler plugs
You could try done big mole grips to grip the edges then a whack with a bfh!

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
13 Jul 2012 21:35 #44120 by robs5230
on closer inspection there seems to be chemical metal used as a sealant :(
looks like i'll have to resort to the hex bar trick. i'll pick a bit up then weld it on when i get a dry day. cheers

standard jimny - for now

More
14 Jul 2012 12:15 #44147 by facade
Be careful you don't weld it to the casing :ohmy:

(That's the real reason I did mine off the car ;) )

More
14 Jul 2012 15:42 #44155 by robs5230
thanks , will do . when i pick the new ones up i will weld hex bar on before i refit.

standard jimny - for now

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds