BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Where to attach a vacuum gauge?

• vegetablejoe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2012 01:50 #44003 by vegetablejoe
Where to attach a vacuum gauge? was created by vegetablejoe
Hi!

I've been quietly reading through the forum (ok, lurking) and have decided to join up as I need to ask a question and have not seen the answer anywhere yet.

I own a 2012 Jimny (actually a Dec 2011 model, delivered CBU from Japan), and would like to get more than my current 21-23 mpg fuel consumption (city driving). To this end I bought a Veglia Borletti Vacuum Gauge. But when I looke under the hood at the carburator and air intake fittings, I couldn't determine where to install the gauge's hose.

Has anyone installed a vacuum gauge and can point out where exactly I should do this? I'm not mechanically inclined, so a picture with an explanation would certainly go a long way.

Thank you in advance!

Jaime
Manila

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2012 22:36 #44055 by Johnniehec
I thought I, reply as no one else has, I don't think this is a common mod inthe UK, I've never heard of it. Hopefully someone else has.
Cheers,
John

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
12 Jul 2012 22:44 #44056 by facade
Unless the 2011 is radically different to early models, there should be a rubber pipe about 8mm diameter that goes from the inlet manifold to the vacuum solenoids under the battery that operate the hubs. Tee into this pipe.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• vegetablejoe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2012 10:06 #44072 by vegetablejoe
Replied by vegetablejoe on topic Re: Where to attach a vacuum gauge?
Thanks! Will have a look over the weekend and see if it's something I can DIY.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2012 10:12 #44074 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Where to attach a vacuum gauge?

Johnniehec wrote: I thought I, reply as no one else has, I don't think this is a common mod inthe UK, I've never heard of it. Hopefully someone else has.
Cheers,
John

this is what most people put on turbo cars boost/vacuum gauge as long as it goes after the throttle butterfly it will be ok failing that read the instructions

More
13 Jul 2012 16:36 #44098 by facade
Here is where I mean, on my X reg, the blue thing is a one way valve, so the gauge must go into the pipe that connects to the spigot on the manifold.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:

• vegetablejoe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jul 2012 03:22 #44167 by vegetablejoe
Thank you very much for the picture. It's very clear and I'e now seen where to on my engine! And I understand I should splice a T connector there. Now to decide whether I want to void the engine warranty on my 2 month old Jimny!

More
15 Jul 2012 12:00 #44184 by dirtydogz
Just go to your local auto factors and buy some vac pipe in the same size and cut that.

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2012 21:57 #44567 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: Where to attach a vacuum gauge?

vegetablejoe wrote: Hi!

I've been quietly reading through the forum (ok, lurking) and have decided to join up as I need to ask a question and have not seen the answer anywhere yet.

I own a 2012 Jimny (actually a Dec 2011 model, delivered CBU from Japan), and would like to get more than my current 21-23 mpg fuel consumption (city driving). To this end I bought a Veglia Borletti Vacuum Gauge. But when I looke under the hood at the carburator and air intake fittings, I couldn't determine where to install the gauge's hose.

Has anyone installed a vacuum gauge and can point out where exactly I should do this? I'm not mechanically inclined, so a picture with an explanation would certainly go a long way.

Thank you in advance!

Jaime
Manila

Did you fit one of these in the end?

I'm intrigued because I am thinking of fitting one.

• vegetablejoe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2012 00:57 #44572 by vegetablejoe

Adamski wrote:
Did you fit one of these in the end?

I'm intrigued because I am thinking of fitting one.

I....aaah... uhm... chickened out with the threat of voiding the warranty. WIll ask the dealer if they can install it for me at the next 5,000 km check-up. If they can't/won't, then I guess the gauge stays in its box 'til the engine warranty runs out...

In the meantime, I'm waiting for my OBD2 scanner to arrive next week. Hooking that up and routing the info via bluetooth to my android tablet, I should be able to get a digital representation of fuel efficiency, as well as a lot of other stuff.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2012 09:19 #44585 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Re: Where to attach a vacuum gauge?
it wont void the warranty of the engine or any othe part but if your that worryed about just disconnect the pipe when you take it back to the dealer work even thow you dont have to take it to a dealer as long as you take to a vat regestered garage and thay use main dealer parts warranty is still valid

More
20 Jul 2012 09:52 - 20 Jul 2012 10:02 #44586 by gilburton
This used to be a common mod on classic cars. It won't do any damage to your engine but if you are in any doubt get some tubing and rig up the "T" piece and gauge so you can see it without plumbing it in to the car interior. eg run it through an open window or just try it at idle to see it working. If happy you can then fit it properly in the car using a pod on the dash. That way you won't have to cut anything.
When it goes in for a service etc. you just remove the modded tube and roll it up out of the way and replace the original tube.
I can't see this mod affecting your warranty. :)
ps I see you are in Manila?? is this US gallons?

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 20 Jul 2012 10:02 by gilburton. Reason: spelling

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds