BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Height check!

• chimpbikes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2012 21:33 #43919 by chimpbikes
Height check! was created by chimpbikes
Hello All,

I apologise if this is a silly question but I dont know the answer.

I bought a 2006 model with lots of good bits(winch, snorkel, spot lights) already on and it is raised up 3".

My question , how do you actually check the height, where do you measure (from where to where) to check if the actual raised height is 3 inches?

It does look high but i want to check before I start buying correction bushes, panhard rod mounting brackets etc. because it as none of these things.

It does have a steering damper and longer brake lines.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2012 22:03 #43925 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: Height check!
Park next to a standard jimny and get the tape measure out.

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2012 06:58 #43932 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Height check!
have a look here
bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny-cha...w-tall-is-your-jimny

should be someone with a similar lift you can compare sizes with :whistle:

• chimpbikes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2012 12:16 #43950 by chimpbikes
Replied by chimpbikes on topic Re: Height check!
Thanks lads, I'm sure I'll get a good idea of the height now.

Cheers,

Martin

More
11 Jul 2012 12:50 #43953 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Re: Height check!
before you get the castor correction bushes , are there any problems when driving ? any vicious shake or wobble and does the steering wheel return to centre ?

standard jimny - for now

• chimpbikes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2012 13:33 #43955 by chimpbikes
Replied by chimpbikes on topic Re: Height check!
It does return to centre "ish" and the cornering can be a bit hairy/scary sometimes and it can be a bit lively driving at 60 on bumpy B roads.

Like I said above, I bought the Jimny 2nd hand and it has been raised a good height and I know the radius arms , bushes etc are all standard. Reading the threads on here I thought it would need "sorting" a little more.
I'm away offshore just now and cant measure the actual height (door handle rear light cluster)

Martin

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2012 19:28 - 11 Jul 2012 19:47 #43976 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: Height check!
Just changing the thread a bit guys, i'm worried I might have bitten off more than I can chew :(

After chopping off the bumper extensions in preparation for my ORA bumper fitment and finding the damaged chassis legs. I have chopped out the cross-member ready to weld a new section and overweld/strengthen the chassis legs. The 2''bodylift is in place.

BUT on looking at the car from the front it looks really lopsided. I have taken measurements under the headlights, under the chassis legs and at wheelarch bottoms and the driver side is 1.5cm lower than the passenger side. I know it doesn't sound much but it looks worse :(

[attachment:1]2012-07-11 20.03.25.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jul 2012 19:47 by Smoggy.

• stevedumptruck63
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2012 20:17 #43983 by stevedumptruck63
Replied by stevedumptruck63 on topic Re: Height check!
hi mate most jimny's lean to the drivers side, a few of the guys fit a 1.5" spring spacer to the front drivers side spring. :evil:

More
11 Jul 2012 20:18 - 11 Jul 2012 20:21 #43984 by robs5230
i think you have the jimny lean . this will probably be more apparent on a lifted jimny . spring spacer from bits4vits fitted on top of the drivers front spring should straighten everything up .you will need to remove the rubber spring seat ( just pull it off ) and replace it with the spacer . before i fitted mine it felt like i was going to fall out of the drivers window. easy fix :)

good tip - use spring compressors or straps to compress the spring ( i just needed to compress the middle 6 coils or so )

standard jimny - for now
Last edit: 11 Jul 2012 20:21 by robs5230.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smoggy

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2012 20:42 #43986 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: Height check!

robs5230 wrote: i think you have the jimny lean . this will probably be more apparent on a lifted jimny . spring spacer from bits4vits fitted on top of the drivers front spring should straighten everything up .you will need to remove the rubber spring seat ( just pull it off ) and replace it with the spacer . before i fitted mine it felt like i was going to fall out of the drivers window. easy fix :)

good tip - use spring compressors or straps to compress the spring ( i just needed to compress the middle 6 coils or so )

Yeah im about to fit ORA 4.5'' lift kit anyway, so I might just fit spring spacers whilst im doing that. The only thing is with the 2'' bodylift I am conscious of getting too high :(

More
11 Jul 2012 20:54 #43988 by robs5230
the spacer will not increase the lift any. just level up the car . it is just one spacer on the drivers front corner to cure the lean

standard jimny - for now
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smoggy

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2012 20:55 #43989 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Re: Height check!
As others said its probably just the " jimny lean" :-)
Normally is say remove the bodylift then fit the ora kit but i have a feeling you will need both with those masooooove bead-locks :ohmy:
Not sure what if any problems you may get though

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds