BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Towing a caravan

• happypig
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jul 2012 21:47 #43766 by happypig
Towing a caravan was created by happypig
Can anyone tell me the max weight I could tow with a standard jimny, hardtop manual ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ne-crock
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jul 2012 21:58 #43767 by ne-crock
Replied by ne-crock on topic Re: Towing a caravan
1300kg if i recall correctly,

More
08 Jul 2012 22:31 #43771 by dirtydogz
Replied by dirtydogz on topic Re: Towing a caravan

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....

More
09 Jul 2012 05:46 #43773 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Re: Towing a caravan
what the jimny will do legally and what it will be happy doing are 2 different things. in my opinion the jimny is no tow vehicle.

standard jimny - for now

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2012 07:13 #43775 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: Towing a caravan

happypig wrote: Can anyone tell me the max weight I could tow with a standard jimny, hardtop manual ?

450kg - Braked
350kg - Unbraked

Some websites/info say that the Jimny can tow 1300kg (Braked) but this is not the case (not legally anyway). I'm sure in low range the Jimny will be fine for pulling 1000kg+ caravans off a muddy field but I can't imagine it would be that much fun to tow that weight on a motorway.

More
09 Jul 2012 18:39 #43819 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Towing a caravan

Adamski wrote:

happypig wrote: Can anyone tell me the max weight I could tow with a standard jimny, hardtop manual ?

450kg - Braked
350kg - Unbraked

Some websites/info say that the Jimny can tow 1300kg (Braked) but this is not the case (not legally anyway). I'm sure in low range the Jimny will be fine for pulling 1000kg+ caravans off a muddy field but I can't imagine it would be that much fun to tow that weight on a motorway.

Its 1300kg but varies depending on the country.
www.suzuki.co.uk/cars/cars/new/jimny/jimny/tech-spec
Its not much fun though.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
10 Jul 2012 13:02 #43866 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Re: Towing a caravan
See the web link below, you enter your car and the caravan that you would like to pull, it will then calculate all the variables to advise you if the outfit you have chosen is compatible and safe to tow.
I drag a small Eriba Puck caravan with no problems which has MTPLM weight of 650kg.
www.towcar.info/index.php

Suzuki website technical info says up to 1300kg but to be honest from experiance anything past 900kg and it will feel uncomfortable, slow on take off at junctions and going uphills.

Kerb weight kg 1,090
Gross vehicle weight kg 1,420
Max. towing weight braked kg 1,300
Max. towing weight un-braked kg 350

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2012 16:08 #43878 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Towing a caravan
the old rule of thumb was that the loaded caravan shouldn't weigh more that 80% of the car weight for stabillity

More
12 Jul 2012 14:25 #44028 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Re: Towing a caravan
I used to tow an unbraked trailer and Gold Wing with no problems. In fact it settled the suspension and it pulled well.
I suspect the main problem with the Jimny is the short wheelbase/width/height and yes it is 1300kgs.
Suzuki uk quote this figure. The lower weights quoted from the handbook only apply to certain markets and if you read on it says so.
I haven't tried it yet but I have a small Freedom Microlite 750kgs max and I don't expect problems.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
13 Jul 2012 05:48 #44065 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Re: Towing a caravan
the bhp/tonne and torque on the wing will be way better compared to that on a jimny. i do run slightly larger tyres (195's) which do alter my gearing so i wouldn't pull anything with mine . i am not too fond of petrol stations.
the weight of 2 friends and a bit of fishing gear in mine don't do anything for the fuel consumption and performance let alone trying to drag upwards of 3/4 tonne up hills. wouldn't fancy the clutch either. and yes i have a touring caravan.

standard jimny - for now

More
13 Jul 2012 09:26 - 13 Jul 2012 09:49 #44071 by gilburton
Replied by gilburton on topic Re: Towing a caravan
Well all I can say is I've been all over Scotland towing my caravan with a Suzuki Swift (42mpg solo 36mpg towing )and it was absolutely no problem so I can't see the Jimny with it's lower gearing being worse pulling wise.
There again I wouldn't think of trying to tow a car trailer or anything like that.
When I did pick up my Yamaha dragster trike for the first time I made the mistake of loading it too far forward and the swift didn;t like it at all downhill but it did pull it ok. A bit more thought on weight distribution cured it though.
I do have a friction damper on the caravan.
Bearing in mind the Jimny is standard(no suspension mods) and the caravan is 450kgs(750 max) it is probably around 50% of the official towing weight and I drive the Jimny like a Jimny not a sports car.I'm in the 36/38mpg camp.
I've looked up the Gl1200 weight it;s 330kgs dry and say 200kgs for my trailer. It's a converted 3 bike trailer plated in chequerplate and widened at the rear to take the width of a trike. It's heavy. I never had any problems with my old 1998 sohc Jimny..
I agree the Jimny becomes a bit more unstable if you load up the back with people etc. especially if you quicly swerve or change lanes but the weight is higher up.
I'll report back when I've had a chance to try it out :lol:

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)
Last edit: 13 Jul 2012 09:49 by gilburton. Reason: added detail

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds