BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Just bought a Jimny and need a bit of advice...

More
02 Jun 2010 19:42 #3527 by facade
Hi everybody

Just bought a Dec 2000 estate (needed before March 2001 for the cheap tax) previously I ran LandRovers :blush:

I have a couple of problems

1) the air pipes over the axle don't seem secured properly, they are secure, but there are several attachment tabs with a hole in that are in fresh air, and a couple of pipe keeper togethers that don't as it looks like the pipes are on backwards.

Is this right? is there a drawing/photo of a front axle anywhere showing the routing of the pipes?

2) When I drove it, all was fine except, when I pull away, usually when turning out of a junction, and shift into second, there is a vibration from the rear until the revs pick up.
It only does it at low revs, and only in second. I tried to get the chain to jump, as suggested on here before I bought it and it doesn't.
Feels a little as if there is a limited slip diff at the rear snatching.

This could be me, I do tend to use 1st to just get the wheels rolling and then shift up ASAP. Tomorrow I will check out the UJs and try reving a bit higher in 1st before I change to 2nd, in case it is simply some strange driveline harmonic.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2010 05:25 #3529 by mlines
Hi,

The air pipes on mine are also very bent and do not look secured properly, I think this is pretty much how they are. There is a diagram in the manual but to be honest its such a poor quality that its not worth reproducing here.

On your second problem I would have looked first at the Transfer box chain and then at clutch judder.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
03 Jun 2010 06:49 #3530 by facade
thanks for the reply.

There aren't any fixings on the axle where the tabs on the pipes are, but they seem secured at the back.

I checked here before I bought it, and you suggested trying to jump the chain off by dropping the clutch in low, and it doesn't jump.

(as an aside, it cost me £90 to sort out the chain jumping on my mountain 'bike, full set of sprockets and a new chain, so I know how to get a drive chain to jump :lol: )

I searched the forum, and in the past a couple of people have described it as a "BRRR in second" but don't seem to have offered a solution. Seems more of a vibration to me. I'll check it out today, just got a little fettling to do round the rusty bits :ohmy:

One other thing, the swivel housing balls are as rusty as old iron. Is this right? I'm used to replaceable chromed balls that are full of ep90, I know a suzuki is dry inside. Should I clean them up and paint them?

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
03 Jun 2010 07:20 #3531 by mlines
Yes, its probably worth cleaning them up and putting paint on them. You will find that MOT test people get a fixation on what they remember from Landrovers (They need clean shiny chrome with no oil leaks to pass. Jimnys look similar but aren't, therefore you may fail on rust and pitting on the steel surface which is in fact not relevant in the same way as it was on Landrovers. Therefore keeping them painted will help

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
03 Jun 2010 16:37 #3536 by Garry
my jimny vibrates to, its just low revs on mine tho, i do the same, 1st to get going then into 2nd.

More
04 Jun 2010 05:02 #3540 by JonathonMarshall
yeah that'd be me with the brrr in 2nd. Its still present and I'm still at a loss. UJ's were suggested but i've had a feel and they feel ok?. Its a very annoying symptom...i do find that slipping the clutch stops it though so it could well be clutch judder. It shakes the bones of the car though!!

More
04 Jun 2010 07:56 #3541 by facade
Thanks for the replies.

I took it for a nice long drive yesterday, dark green is NOT the best colour in the sunshine with no air-con ;).

It happens when pulling at 1500rpm, just the speed in second when in a traffic queue. Does it in 1st and 3rd, likely 4th too, but even I won't force it to pull from 1500 in 4th & 5th.

If I just tickle the throttle until it gets to about 1800, it doesn't do it. Nothing seems loose, and it is one of the first DOHC engines, I'm thinking it is soft mounting rubbers in the driveline and the springs in the clutch causing it.

I'll just have to get used to more revs ;)

(I used to drive our 1000cc Corsa in 5th at 30 mph, until one day I had the windows down and I could hear the engine pinking like stones in a tin can :blush: )

More
04 Jun 2010 14:19 #3545 by Garry
it sounds just like the low revs are causing is, the revs will resonate through the car and vibrate.

More
09 Jun 2010 19:56 #3593 by Johnniehec
I'm new to Suzuki too previously trialled 2A and 100inch hybrid 20+ years ago. Yes my Jimny (2001) vacuum pipes on the front axle are exactly like yours. Second It's got exactly the same vibration noise you describe, I first thought Prop UJ but they're OK I've just got used to it it must be a Jimny thing!!
You mention front swivels one of mine is dry the other damp both fairly rusty, I'm not sure my MOT tester, an independant LR agent knew they are "dry". I must confess neither did I, how does the CV get lube? A neighbour has a 2002 Jimny and one swivel is badly leaking what looks like gear oil, looks like someone must have filled it somehow!!
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
09 Jun 2010 20:20 - 09 Jun 2010 20:25 #3594 by facade
Cheers.

I think the CVs are grease packed and you put a little extra grease in the swivel on assembly, rather like LandRovers "One-shot" grease that we stick in when they start leaking ;)

(On my old Jeep, as in a USA Jeep, there were no ball swivels, the ends of the axle tube were shaped like a C and held the kingpins so the universal joints were open. seemed much more sensible to me)

Further to the vibration, I'm thinking it is the really soft transfer box mounts, maybe new ones would cure it, or perhaps the later cars have a different part number?

When poking underneath I found that the front prop clonked at the sliding joint. On inspection I found a rather dry grease nipple, so I found a greasegun with some grease in and pumped away. Then I thought "I'm sure the prop shaft just got longer :blink: " (pump) "It is expanding :ohmy: " Turns out the transfer box just moves back as the shaft fills with grease, there was me expecting to feel it reaching the sliding joint cover. At least the play has gone :)

Last edit: 09 Jun 2010 20:25 by facade.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds