BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

More starter Woes

More
10 Apr 2010 08:29 #3095 by ooky_123
More starter Woes was created by ooky_123
Right, I have some strange happen ings with my starter motor..

First of all, it was changed for a new one in December 09 and has only done 4 offroad trips.
Secondly, in January, the origional Battery was thought to be faulty so a new Battery was fitted (OEM fitment).
Since then, The Jimny has either "clicked" when attempting to start, and eventually, it has fired, and the car started.

More reciently, the starter just "clicks", but refuses to fire.
I finally managed to get the starter off and clean the Much out of it, and, attached to a bench Power supply (1000 cA battery) it fires fine.

Now, the battery is taking charge, and holding charge fine too, but when the starter was replaced, the starter will "click" once, and on the second twist of the key, fire and start the car.

This leaves me with 3 Questions ...

1. Is starter duff ?
2. Is battery insufficient ?
3. Demonic posession ??

So How do I resolve the problem ?

Im thinking ...

Another new starter ?
or
www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV-X-1000-Amp-P7632.html
or
www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV24MF-P3126.html
or another Origional fit one ..
www.tayna.co.uk/batterygroups/393/545157...Batteries-page1.html

... Or a Priest ???

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2010 18:24 #3099 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:More starter Woes
I have just had exactly the same trouble!

Fortunately for me, Lindz (my partner)'s step dad has a starter motor and alternator re-building company and when I got the Jimny the Starter was sticking on for a second or so after I let go of the key, so he cleaned it out of brake dust and gave it a check over. That was not too long ago, about 10 months and 5000 miles.

I went to take the car for the firring of the raer ORA bumper by the guy who has done my cage and winch bumper so he could strenthen it up ready for hte cage and "CLICK".

I still had our SJ and had just topped up it's battery and it was on the garage floor, so I jump started it and threw it in the back with leads for my welding master!

Then it started but was slow and after he fitted the cage "CLICK". It jump started again and then I fitted my NUMAX 86AH 1000CCA battery (great minds) and the problem was solved.

It was not the battery though!!! The battery was fine, fully charged and started the SJ well.

It was not the earths being dirty - I cleaned every damned one of them!

It was the poitive connection on the battery, which I took apart and replaced when I fitted the new battery in the boot and a new connector at the front to take the new positive and negative leads that go the length of tghe vehicle on top of it's chassis.

So in short - which I'm not famed for!!! - Clean your postive connection up and all your earths in case it's an of them.

I have seen what you drive through so your earths could be a little rusted up where they meet the body, chassis and gearbox.

You've bench tested the starter, so you know it's not that. What's the battery voltage when the engine is off? Should be at least 13.5 fully charged.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
12 Apr 2010 14:21 #3106 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re:More starter Woes
Hi - don't know if this will help, or if it's a red herring! SJ's typically suffer from 'clicky starter' and it's because the relay on the starter is connected directly to the ignition switch, which after time and dirt, doesn't provide a good connection to the starter. The remedy is to install a relay operated by the ignition switch, which is then connected to the starter. This provides a good power supply to the starter relay. The point is though, that I don't know if Jimnys use the same type of wiring arrangement as the SJ!

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
12 Apr 2010 18:41 #3109 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:More starter Woes
I don;t think Jimny's are quite as basic as the SJ's and they tend not to suffer with these maladies, so I think it will still boil down to cleaning up all connections and earths.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
13 Apr 2010 04:31 #3114 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:More starter Woes
Even more strange, I don't think it's connections ... The battery checks out fine, the current draw on the starter isn't too bad either. I'm going to stick a massive battery in place of the halfrauds one I fitted 3 months ago as it seems to be the battery isn't able to kick out enough cranking amps (300 it says)... To turn over the car.. Sometimes it does, other times it won't.

Local garage cleaned up all the earth points for me and I cleaned up the battery contacts

More
13 Apr 2010 04:33 #3115 by ooky_123
Even more strange, I don't think it's connections ... The battery checks out fine, the current draw on the starter isn't too bad either. I'm going to stick a massive battery in place of the halfrauds one I fitted 3 months ago as it seems to be the battery isn't able to kick out enough cranking amps (300 it says)... To turn over the car.. Sometimes it does, other times it won't.

Local garage cleaned up all the earth points for me and I cleaned up the battery contacts

More
13 Apr 2010 07:05 #3116 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re:More starter Woes
Funny you should say about the Halfords battery - when the battery went on my Jimny I too bought a Halfords one which although it said it was the right one was a bit smaller. It really struggled to start the car so I took it back. I bought a genuine battery from Suzuki which was the right one for the car (there were I think about 4 different batteries listed) and it started fine and seems ok with the winch too. Price wasn't very diffent to Halfords. Maybe that's the problem.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
16 Jun 2010 09:52 #3629 by ooky_123
Well, things have progressed, Ive been away, so have been a little delayed in getting things done ...

the Numax Battery arrived and is awsome. Need to modify the battery mounts, but the starter is still playing up.

Took it back and as my local garage had opened it, have voided the warrenty on the part.
Ordered a new refurbed one yesterday, it arriveed today but the bolts donot fit .. they donot pass though the bolt holes ..
Suzuki want £358 for a new starter but im buggered if im paying that !!!

More
21 Jun 2010 16:16 #3661 by ooky_123
Quick Update, managed to get the old starter back, and now will have a play.
In the end, went for a new starter, £120 from Hillmart UK Ltd ( Alternatormart )www.alternatormart.co.uk/Equiry%20Form.htm

These guys a top notch, and cheaper than the recon units motor factors sell. They only sell New units too.

Be careful though, they have 2 types, one will not fit the dohc engine ( as I found out to my anoyance ) but they changed it, no problem, and I only paid the difference in the cost.
Next day delivery is super efficient, and they starters are nice and shiny, and look a lot better than the origional / refurbed ones

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds