BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

removing back seats and seat belts

• little jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 16:52 - 09 Jan 2012 17:03 #30384 by little jimny
removing back seats and seat belts was created by little jimny
My dogs keep getting caught up in the back seatbelts, so I want to remove them. Obviously this will cause a problem come MOT time if the back seats are still in, so I'm going to remove them as well. Can anyone offer any tips on how to do this, in particular it looks like I'll have to remove the side trim to get at the bottom seat belt mounting but I can't quite figure out how it comes out.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2012 17:03 by little jimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2012 17:03 - 09 Jan 2012 17:07 #30387 by Johnniehec
Little jimny, no it's the other way round you've got to take the seats out to get the side panels off. side panels are a pain in the A**e to take off. Just take the seats out, there are bolts in the actual seat back pad rather than unbolting the bracket from the side panels if I remember correctly then you can get at the seatbelts. The ones in the centre are bolted down throught the floor, the plastic trim is also a b****r to get off and they're bound to be rusty.
John.
I knew I'd seen a photo, it's the nut on the LHS of this picture you're after.

Attachment Photo0220.jpg not found

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jan 2012 17:07 by Johnniehec. Reason: Add photo
The following user(s) said Thank You: little jimny

More
09 Jan 2012 18:22 #30393 by Halford
The following user(s) said Thank You: little jimny

• little jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 18:47 #30396 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Re: removing back seats and seat belts
Thanks guys - looks like it'll be more than a ten minute job then!

• little jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2012 21:21 #30698 by little jimny
Job done B)

As suggested, some of the bolts had gone a tad rusty and took a fair bit of effort to remove. I also needed to remove the rear trim that runs under the door to release the side trims where they tuck under. When I did the second side I only pulled the side trim clear at the back - that gave me enough clearance to remove the seat belt without the hassle of removing the whole trim at the front. Lining the side trim back up to put it back on was a PITA too!

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Sep 2012 17:02 #48427 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: removing back seats and seat belts
Sorry to bring up an old post, but would removing the back seats have a negative impact on insurance?

I am thinking that I wont be carrying passengers so less likely to have PI claims if I had a prang.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• little jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Sep 2012 18:46 #48429 by little jimny
I notified my insurance company that I had fitted Recaro seats and removed the back seats, tinted the windows and fitted front fog lamps - the cost was just over £20, most of which was down to an admin fee. The seats (classed as 'interior modification') alone would have just attracted the admin fee which was about £17-£18. Best bet is to call your insurance company and see what they say - each one is a bit different to the next.

More
21 Sep 2012 15:15 #48472 by gilburton
Does anyone know if the early seats will fit straight into the later vvt models or just the seat bases??
Are the fittings/holes still there?
I only ask as I recently had to carry a longish heavy item and a passenger. I normally run with the rear seat base out and a load liner.
To get the item/passenger in I had to refit the base and fold down the n/s rear seat back which now no longer lay flat.
I know the seat trim doesn't match but this could be changed.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

• little jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Sep 2012 16:32 #48479 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic removing back seats and seat belts
The early seat bases bolt into the floor and tilt forward from there. I think the later seat bases clip in place and stay fixed in place, so I doubt there will be the threaded holes in the boot floor to bolt in the seats from an early model.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds