BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

mounting a winch in standard bumper

More
14 Aug 2009 07:03 #1130 by jonplace
has anyone got any pictures of a winch tray that fits inside the standard bumper. i'm hoping to get a tray fitted next week but any additional pics / ideas welcome
i've had a look colins install which is very neat but no pictures of the install
Colins Install

I was also looking at clintons install (link on front page) which is also very neat but sits lower
Clintons Install

a post with various winch installs would be helpful or if its any easier just email some pics to me
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

am probably going to buy a 8000 / 9000 lb champion winch from winchsolutions with plasma rope if the budget will stretch. i trust this is a good product from a decent supplier, any other suggestions welcome

I'll try and get some pics up of the job as it progress's

cheers :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2009 10:36 #1140 by kirkynut
Have a read of my previous thread about all my thoughts on buying a winch, when i then decided not to get one!!!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
17 Aug 2009 07:59 - 17 Aug 2009 08:01 #1146 by jonplace
will have a read :)
got the tray going in soon so its pretty much a done deal.. we use them quite a bit up here due to the places we get to and not having one is catching me out

Last edit: 17 Aug 2009 08:01 by jonplace.

More
11 Oct 2009 17:53 #1348 by jonplace
An update on the winch install. Things have gone slower than expected, just havnt had the time till this weekend to get it sorted but its just about there. I just need to get the second battery fitted

More
11 Oct 2009 17:59 #1349 by mlines
Thats a really nice job, I love it when winches are hidden in normal bumpers

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
12 Oct 2009 16:28 #1362 by Jamie
Looking good i have been going to do mine for a while
now what size stel did you use to slide into the
chassis?? i measured it at 90x50 and i'm having trouble
trying to source some.

Cheer's

Jamie

More
12 Oct 2009 18:54 #1363 by jonplace
not sure exactly what size it is, 2 bits were welded together to make the rigth size, if you look at the 5ft picture down (i think) you can see that 2 bits were cut and welded together to make it a snug fit inside the chassis

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
12 Oct 2009 20:10 #1365 by funkyjimny
I have a winch bumper to fit but think I'll sell it on as its not my cup of tea, too heavy. I'm thinking of getting a universal winch mounting plate from ebay (cgi.ebay.co.uk/WINCH-MOUNTING-PLATE-winc..._trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ) and making that fit on the chassis in the right spot. Thats a lovely neat job though, much impresed.

Gary

• funkyjimny
    Registered
More
21 Oct 2009 16:27 #1403 by funkyjimny
Got mine in yesterday and cut bumper around it today, unfortunatley i dont have funds for Plasma you flash bugger!
Attachments:

More
29 Oct 2009 19:04 #1415 by jonplace
yep another very tidy job there. you could always fix the reg plate just above the fairlead. this will hide the winch further and also keep the crap off it when driving in the rain. do you have any pictures of the build ?
can you access the clutch alright as the winch sits higher than mine ?
oh - and i'm not that flash :) its synthetic rope not plasma which is cheaper and much nicer and safer to use than wire. would recommend it when funds allow. its also alot lighter, one of the main benefits of a jimny is its small and light
my next job is to mount a second battery in a boot as the standard jimny will cave in under a prolonged heavy load. what are your plans for batteries as i'm still looking for ideas

• funkyjimny
    Registered
More
29 Oct 2009 19:09 - 29 Oct 2009 19:11 #1416 by funkyjimny
Mine sits on top of the chassis rails rather than inbetween, i can only do this because the clutch lever doesnt sit on top like most winches, but in front and slides up and down, the winch is actually slightly off centre as it just fits in between the front panel.
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Oct 2009 19:11 by funkyjimny.

• funkyjimny
    Registered
More
29 Oct 2009 19:17 #1417 by funkyjimny
I have a stick on number plate for the bonnet too, need to keep the radiator clear of any more obstacles!

Gary

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds