BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

new jeep

More
14 Apr 2024 16:10 #255563 by paul2u
new jeep was created by paul2u
just a couple questions  i have had suzuki jeeps for about 30 years i cant see past them as they serve me well in what i do , however time has come for another one , i have a 2005 just now but its getting the better of me with the rust monkey , so i have my eye on a 2014 model and got to wondering about the push button 4x4 and dont know if i am happy with that or not , so question is what problems might  this throw up and secondly can i use manual hubs instead of air , and any other problems that a 14 model might have cheers lads

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Apr 2024 17:06 #255564 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic new jeep
The only thing against the last face lifted 3s is that they ended up with tpms which you can't adjust the lowest value of. It means you can't run the tyres at suitable off road pressure without the light on the dash. Otherwise they are much the same in character as ever. Push buttons are a none issue and only suffer from not being used which is true of lever boxes too. Manual hubs are the future I wouldn't be without mine.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2024 20:31 #255566 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic new jeep
Jeep? Wash your mouth out with soap!

Push button 4WD is fine and yes, you can easily convert to manual hubs on these.

2014 is 10 years old so needs the usual rust checks - boot floor, behind headlamps, around body mounts, etc.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
15 Apr 2024 03:26 #255569 by Lambert
Don't forget the history of the term jeep, they weren't originally manufactured under that name, it was a generalised name believed to be derived from military nomenclature applied to a type of vehicle produced by different makers. It was subsequently adopted as a marketing strategy and brand identity by various companies like chrysler etc.

More
15 Apr 2024 07:18 #255571 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic new jeep
Jeep as a brand was marketed from 1943 with the Civilian Jeep CJ being sold from 1945 and formally as a trademark in 1950 for Willys-Overland. So a long long time before the Jimny line….

Although it probably isn’t a stretch to assume the J in LJ or SJ had some intention of referencing Jeep. Other Japanese car makers built actual Jeeps under licence and had a similar classification system.

Not sure Suzuki actually ever marketed their vehicles as “Jeeps” though and certainly not in the U.K. in 2024 it would seem a little odd to be calling a Jimny a Jeep.

More
15 Apr 2024 07:46 - 15 Apr 2024 07:47 #255572 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic new jeep
Jeep is a brand and their followers do not approve of others using it, so part of me would like to call SJ's jeeps just to annoy.. but no. :)

Very important thing for the Heep crowd is the seven bars in the grille.
Suzukis got eleven or five and would get into trouble if they made a car with seven.

LJ and SJ could come from LightJeep or SmallJeep and Jimny has been said is from a combination of Jeep and Mini. In Japan it is pronounced "jimini" -ish

But still I would like to distance myself from the Heep owners as the brand seem to attract more posers than the Suzuki :dry:

Hoping everyone and especially the topic owner sees that all this is alot of humor and that my english not allways comes out like that as it is not my first language.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2024 07:47 by yakuza.

More
15 Apr 2024 08:06 #255574 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic new jeep

LJ and SJ could come from LightJeep or SmallJeep and Jimny has been said is from a combination of Jeep and Mini. In Japan it is pronounced "jimini" -ish

Is that where the name Jimny comes from?  Jeep-mini -> Jimini -> Jimny?

A friend round the corner calls my car a Jeep and I have heard others refer to it as a Jimini.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
15 Apr 2024 08:45 - 15 Apr 2024 08:52 #255575 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic new jeep

A friend round the corner calls my car a Jeep and I have heard others refer to it as a Jimini.

Robin
Google said so in a questionable corner of the internjet. But god knows what happened in a sake-drenched late night Suzuki marketing department meeting in the seventees. :)  
Car model names is a funny thing though. The Pajero/Shogun wich is a spanish masturbator and the Honda Fitta/Jazz cannot have that name here in Norway as it is Norwegian for the womens unspeakables :)

My Uncle calls my SJ a Jeep too. Haven't cancelled him off yet and still visit him but don't know long I can keep it up :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2024 08:52 by yakuza.

More
15 Apr 2024 08:56 #255576 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic new jeep
The name "Jeep" probably stems from the American army GP which stands for general purpose but you can add J.E.E.P or "Just Enough Essential Parts or how about " Eugene the Jeep ", a cartoon character.

Roger

More
15 Apr 2024 09:02 - 15 Apr 2024 09:04 #255577 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic new jeep

Robin
I Googled this earlier and it seems that a spokes person from Suzuki has claimed this, 50 years after the first Jimny. I'm not convinced though, as Jeep-Mini sounds nothing like Jimny or Jiminy and the spelling and choice of letters certainly doesn't tally up. So I'm more inclined to chalk it up as marketing BS that just happens to fit badly many decades after the fact.

Google also suggest this:

Which when you consider the Starion (Stallion) and other Japanese cars like the Cedric it doesn't seem so far fetched.

As for Jiminy.... well I'd guess this is more people not sure how to say the name and/or misspelling it... and ending up at:
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2024 09:04 by 300bhpton.

More
15 Apr 2024 09:56 #255578 by Hughes
Replied by Hughes on topic new jeep

The name "Jeep" probably stems from the American army GP which stands for general purpose but you can add J.E.E.P or "Just Enough Essential Parts or how about " Eugene the Jeep ", a cartoon character.

I understood this to be correct. Much the same way the modern "Humvee" is a derivative of HMMWV  - High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle. 

• Lambert
    Registered
More
15 Apr 2024 11:25 #255580 by Lambert
What of course is interesting is that the product existed and in large numbers before it was named as such its not unconscionable the the name ends up associated with other products that share the same utility and applications. Like the inverse of hoover. Mine is still my jimny or my van or my truck or my car or temeraire depending on my mood.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds