BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:SZ5 Reverse sensors and camera supply and fit Essex/Suffolk/Cambs?

More
More
07 Apr 2024 08:19 - 07 Apr 2024 10:05 #255483 by facade
I just ordered a pair of wire guards from eBay, obviously I went for the cheapest as they all use the same stock images.

Jimnystyle want £22!!!! and they aren't even in stock.

I never noticed how vulnerable they are before, I don't let Dog MkIII in the boot anyway, dog claws are a million times harder than the element traces!

The Gen 3 didn't demist the bottom half of the screen- and the £££££ phials of "conductive silver paint" don't work.......

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 07 Apr 2024 10:05 by facade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2024 09:44 #255484 by mlines
On the other side of the argument, and my personal opinion.

The wires are exposed on the gen3 as well. We have 3 gen4, 1 offroaded gen3 and two dogs.

We have never had an issue and never had people looking for similar items for a gen3.

There are a lot of "must have" items that look to be a triumph of marketing over function.

How about fake chequer plate in plastic. Chequer plate is used to cover rotted out sills and quarter panels, so why make your car look like it is rotting out already and also create water/ mud traps behind the panels

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
07 Apr 2024 10:20 #255485 by facade

On the other side of the argument, and my personal opinion.

The wires are exposed on the gen3 as well. We have 3 gen4, 1 offroaded gen3 and two dogs.

We have never had an issue and never had people looking for similar items for a gen3.

There are a lot of "must have" items that look to be a triumph of marketing over function.

How about fake chequer plate in plastic. Chequer plate is used to cover rotted out sills and quarter panels, so why make your car look like it is rotting out already and also create water/ mud traps behind the panels

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

"The industry" is trying to raise the image of chequer plate from a bodge to cover corrosion to "fashion" now it comes pre-shaped in black, but like you, whenever I see it on a Landrover I think "That is covering up something" rather than "How stylish"...

I don't think the wires were as obvious in the gen 3, I vaguely remember them coming out from the plastic trim right at the sides and being pressed tight to the window frame, rather than in the middle. (Plus Suzuki were a lot more generous with the plastic trim in the gen 3, maybe all that bare
metal is another fashion statement, I just think it screams "bottom of the range- cheap" like the 1960s cars I used to drive...)

Dog MKII cut the traces on the screen of the gen 3 the first time she stood up and rested her paws on the window frame to see where I was going.

Dog MKIII has a harness and sits/lies on the back seat with a seatbelt on, but it is a bit awkward getting her in and belted up.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Apr 2024 13:51 #255486 by Lambert
I have removed the rear door card of mine to increase the load area replacing it with a flat panel and to protect the heating wires I have taped them down with gaffer tape. Certainly not aesthetic but definitely functional.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
07 Apr 2024 14:30 - 07 Apr 2024 14:30 #255487 by DrRobin
The wires on the Gen 3 were much shorter and tucked closer in.

We are also on dog MkIII as well, but she doesn’t often go in my car, my misses prefers to use her car which suits me. Dog MkIII doesn’t often look out of the back window unlike dog MkII who stared out of it all of the time, but then I didn’t have this Jimny then.

Dog MkI only went in my car once, an MGF two seater. He went in the front passenger footwell and left it covered in white hair which took a few weeks and a Dyson to get rid of.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 07 Apr 2024 14:30 by DrRobin.

More
07 Apr 2024 17:41 #255488 by facade

We are also on dog MkIII as well

Awful isn't it, how they only last such a short time? you just get used to having them around and they are gone.

Dog MKI I had from new and he lasted to 14. MKII was a used replacement and only lasted 6 years, the current incumbent, MKIII is 9 next month, so it will be time for replacement all too soon, although I'm getting to the age that Dog MKIV might outlast me!

MKI was white & longhaired and shed everywhere. The criteria for MKII & MKIII were mainly short dark hair, firmly attached!

More
07 Apr 2024 21:12 - 07 Apr 2024 21:13 #255491 by DrRobin
Dog I was rescued by my wife from the streets of a local housing estate, he was of unknown age, but we had him for 6 years, I think he was about 12 when he developed a brain tumour and passed away.

Dog II came from the RSPCA as a puppy, she went to nearly 14 and was ‘one in a million’, loved by everyone, but she had a problem with her heart and didn’t quite see her 14th birthday. They are both buried in the back garden along with my cat, who was about 16 when she developed a tumour.

Dog III came from the RSPCA as a one yer old dog taken out of her previous home due to neglect. Even after 18 months she is still a work in progress, but one day will be the best yet.

All three have/are collies, the last two border collie.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 07 Apr 2024 21:13 by DrRobin.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds