BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Lift kit for Gen.4

More
19 Mar 2024 21:26 #255179 by Hughes
Replied by Hughes on topic Lift kit for Gen.4
Sorry for the Hijack....

Most people only RTI score on the front wheel, i.e. driving up forwards. For the record a JK Wrangler Rubicon scores 640 for the LWB and 830 for the SWB model. I believe the new JL does slightly better.

Yeah but who wants to drive a jeep!!? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2024 07:54 - 20 Mar 2024 07:55 #255182 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic Lift kit for Gen.4

Not wanting to dispute how your vehicle performed. But I'd need some convincing that the front anti-roll bar is that limiting

Dug up some notes from testing I did a few years back, when I was considering making a swaybar quick - disconnect for my gen3. Lifted a rear wheel on one side with a forklift until the front wheel on the same side came off the ground. Dropped back down until the front wheel just touched the ground, and measured the distance between the bottom of the rear wheel and the ground. (Vice versa for front axle). Did this with and without swaybar fitted.
This is what I found:

Rear axle went from 410 to 500mm - 75mm (3.5") increase in articulation.

Front axles went from 375 to 480mm - 105mm (4") increase in articulation with swaybar removed. 

Did have a King Springs 40mm lift kit installed during this test.
I drove it afterwards with the sway bar removed, was pleasantly suprised at how much better it was to drive so abandoned the swaybar quick-disconnect idea, put the swaybar in the back of the shed and it's never been on the vehicle since. 
I drive "defensively" and try not to be in a rush to get anywhere so I've never even felt remotely unsafe driving it like this. Of course, I can't in good faith recommend others doing the same as everyone's situation is different. 
​​​​
I won't be removing the ARB on mine, but might fit an aftermarket disconnectable one.

I think the Gen 4 must be quite similar as standard to the Gen 3. Completely stock I got these figures:

Jimny - front 14” - RTI = 462
Jimny rear 17.5” - RTI = 578

Your modded figures are:

Front RTI = 624
Rear RTI = 650

So pretty good gains over stock.

Most people only RTI score on the front wheel, i.e. driving up forwards. For the record a JK Wrangler Rubicon scores 640 for the LWB and 830 for the SWB model. I believe the new JL does slightly better.

My gen 3 and my SJ's RTI Scores...   

My Gen 4 with ant-roll bar removed, no measurements yet, but goes up that ramp about the same as the Gen 3 did... 

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Mar 2024 07:55 by saxj.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

More
20 Mar 2024 11:27 #255188 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Lift kit for Gen.4
Since we're already off topic, I can confirm that disconnecting the ARB makes a big difference to articulation. Consider the ARB limits travel both up and down, so while a longer shock may allow a wheel to drop further, the ARB will still be limiting how much the other wheel can go up relative to it. It's quick and easy to remove one drop link to test this. Removing a drop link is also a good alternative to fitting an ARB disconnect. I've done that many times.

I drove about 30,000 miles with my ARB removed, including lots of towing and carrying stuff on the roof. The compliance over bumps improves noticeably. Body roll increases but not enough to be uncomfortable for regular driving. On dry tarmac the car will still slide when pushed hard. There is an increased tendency to oversteer. I've refitted since welding the front diff, as with the extra traction gained articulation isn't so important. The car is more fun to drive quickly with the ARB fitted, but less comfortable at slower speeds.

I will soon be fitting Gen4 suspension on my Gen3, so it will be interesting to see how that compares.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds