BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

I hate myself for asking it but DRL/fogs?

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Mar 2024 13:10 #254749 by Lambert
I'm finally coming to the conclusion that my beloved quasar grey is actually less visible to other road users than the avengers helicarrier with the retroreflecors switched on. To this end I am investigating the idea of daytime running lights. Is there a bolt in kit that augments the front fog lights without duplicating them?  Gen3. 

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2024 13:28 - 02 Mar 2024 13:29 #254751 by DrRobin
You can get replacement LED fog light units that have DRL in them from several places, although most aren’t CE marked.

I did find one set which were CE marked for about £140, but would have to look the link up.

When I looked at the back of my fog lights the bolt heads had rust on them so decided they were not going to come out easily. That’s why I fitted the Ring Lyra LED in the front grilles on my Gen3, about £55-£60. Lyra are approved and sense battery voltage to switch on and off. The also wire in to the position light and dim at night.

I just used a Dremel to cut through the grille, it was fairly straight forward.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 02 Mar 2024 13:29 by DrRobin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Mar 2024 13:34 #254752 by Lambert
Hmm would definitely need conformity markings, don't want the hassle of them failing a test.

More
02 Mar 2024 13:50 - 02 Mar 2024 13:52 #254753 by DrRobin
These weren’t the combined fog/DRL I found before, can’t find those now but look similar.

www.goingfast.com/en/led-daytime-running...g-light_1499003_1491

To make them automatic you might also need a control box, unless they have it built in.

These were the Ring DRL I fitted, also approved

www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs/ring-lyr...XZ00hcBoCVk4QAvD_BwE

Ring Lyra has the automatic control built in, just 3 wires, battery +, ground and front position lights.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 02 Mar 2024 13:52 by DrRobin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, gv42

More
02 Mar 2024 14:04 - 02 Mar 2024 14:05 #254755 by rogerzilla
Do the gen4 units fit?  I think they're both Valeo and they might be a common fitment.   Obviously you'd still need to add DRL wiring.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2024 14:05 by rogerzilla.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
02 Mar 2024 14:09 #254756 by Lambert
According to some listings they might well be.

More
02 Mar 2024 19:17 - 02 Mar 2024 19:29 #254759 by Scimike
I swapped my fogs for combined DRL / Fog, direct fit.
Not sure if they have CE marks (cost about £70), but still to fail an MOT because of them, so not worried.
If they are of interest I think I can find the receipt/ supplier.
A lot brighter than the photo shows, but the "U" can face in or out depending on which way round you fit them.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Mar 2024 19:29 by Scimike.

More
02 Mar 2024 19:32 #254761 by mlines
Not convinced the DRLs improve the visibiliy of the vehicle, I had a lady driver test my braking response this afternoon. Not sure the dogs and my camera enjoyed the ride in the washing machine effect in the back of the car.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Mar 2024 05:38 #254766 by Lambert
Yeah it does feel like they are giving driving licences away on the back of cereal packets these days! You have to drive defensively all the time, there's that many floating about in their protected bubbles without an ounce of awareness of their surroundings. Hence investigating drls as every little helps. It's one thing I will say in favour of the land cruiser is that it gets more peoples attention, though whether that is the drls or it just being massive is a question.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
03 Mar 2024 05:42 #254767 by Lambert
Scimike, I like those, they are more interesting than the full halo ones. A supplier would be great. Thank you.

More
03 Mar 2024 12:27 #254771 by GandHisJimny
I came across this video a while ago and bookmarked thinking it might be something I do in the future :

Can see they sell the exact ones used in the video here for £90: www.powerfuluk.com/products/2-in-1-led-f...jimny-fits-all-years

But in the listing "These lights are not E-Mark approved but will pass a UK MOT.". To be honest, I think you're going to struggle to find ones that are 100% fully sanctioned and above board. I know it's technically an MOT fail and I don't love doing it but I put some low intensity, warm white LEDs in my parking / sidelights and basically use them as DRLs whenever I'm driving (these ones: www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/w5w-50...riant=47297978237224).

The way I see it they're less dazzling than the alternative of running my dipped beams 24/7 and are low power, non-obnoxious colour and standard enough lumen output. But yes, an MOT fail if anyone really cared to note it down. I definitely wouldn't do it for my headlights though because of the risk of dazzling people. I've got halogen OSRAM nightbreaker ones.

Jimmer II (2007 JLX+ auto in black & silver) : Android head unit, Black Raptor Steering Damper, Yokohama Geolandar G015s, rear cabin light, OEM wind deflectors

More
03 Mar 2024 20:23 - 03 Mar 2024 20:27 #254779 by Scimike
Found them, eBay purchase. Unfortunately showing out of stock, but worth asking the seller if they can get anymore or some details on them. They did answer my questions, so good seller. £69 when I got them, so up slightly but apparently "E" marked. I also wired them so the DRL was off when vehicle lights on.
Do DRL help? 
Who can tell, people still pull out on you, but how many didn't because of the DRL is a tough one to put a figure on.  I fitted them because they made my Jimny "look newer" 

eBay listing for above DRL

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Mar 2024 20:27 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, gv42

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds