BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Oil filter removal.

More
15 Feb 2024 22:13 #254358 by Roger Fairclough
Just completed a 12 month service on my Gen.4 and had a problem removing the oil filter. Due to the close proximity of the filter to the sump, my chain wrench could only grip the filter at the end furthest from the seal. The filter was unusually tight - probably no lube on the seal - and although I got it off, the end was mangled. I have been looking at alternatives and Toolstation sell a strap wrench which will get into the restricted space without any problems.
My question is, has anyone got a suggestion based on experience?

Cheers

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Feb 2024 05:55 #254362 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Oil filter removal.
On the m series the filter is obscured by the exhaust manifold so I bought a set of cup wrenches that engage with the flats on the filter and are driven by a half inch square. They are great.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Feb 2024 06:01 #254363 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Oil filter removal.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2024 06:34 - 16 Feb 2024 06:53 #254364 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Oil filter removal.
I use the 3-claw self-tightening type (Sykes-Pickavant).
Last edit: 16 Feb 2024 06:53 by rogerzilla.

More
16 Feb 2024 10:57 - 16 Feb 2024 10:59 #254371 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Oil filter removal.
productimages.biltema.com/v1/image/image...ame/19-1530_xl_1.jpg

This kind has never let me down but havent been in the gen4 situation. The handle can be at an angle.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2024 10:59 by yakuza.

More
16 Feb 2024 17:39 #254382 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Oil filter removal.
When access is awkward I find this style of filter pliers usually gets the job done.
​​​​

Attachments:

More
16 Feb 2024 20:11 #254384 by grumyoldjoe
Replied by grumyoldjoe on topic Oil filter removal.
One of these served me well in the past
media.screwfix.com/is/image/ae235/302RH_...d=257&hei=257&dpr=on

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it

More
17 Feb 2024 06:20 #254391 by Doctorchris
Replied by Doctorchris on topic Oil filter removal.
I use a strap wrench that fits onto a socket wrench. I use it because that's what I have had in my toolkit for ages. It works but it is rather awkward, especially taking up the tension in the strap. If I was buying a new device specifically for the Gen4 Jimny I would choose something else.

More
17 Feb 2024 09:24 #254394 by Roger Fairclough
Many thanks for all your responses. The Gen.4 oil filter is approx. 63mm in diameter which is right at the bottom end of the usual " fits filters between 62-120mm in diameter" so yes, there is a problem of excess slack in chain or strap. I made my chain wrench to suit the very large filter on my LC and so had the fiddly problem of getting it onto the Jimny's filter and then holding it into position whilst lying on my back. Not easy! I intend to visit Toolstation and look at a Draper fabric wrench and consider if shortening the strap material would make it easier to use.

Roger

More
19 Feb 2024 17:24 #254447 by Roger Fairclough
It's warmer and drier so I got underneath to measure the gap between filter and sump. Answer is approx. 10 mm ( gap actually tapers but 10 mm is close enough). I measured my chain wrench ( std. bike chain ) and decided a bit of grinding would suffice and bingo, it fits nicely, so problem solved ( hopefully, it will be 12 months before I try it out ).

Roger

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2024 17:41 #254448 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Oil filter removal.
You could use the time-honoured, if messy, method of banging a big screwdriver right through it.

More
19 Feb 2024 20:11 #254452 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Oil filter removal.
Banging a screwdriver through is the worst thing you can do! If the filter is tight it just peels the filter open like a can opener, then you are left with a mangled, jagged, dripping mess to remove.
If you're smart enough to oil the o-ring and not over-tighten the new filter it should only be hand tight when the time comes to change it. But most people can't resist over tightening them.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds