BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Soft-top specific knowlege, please?

More
25 Dec 2023 20:48 - 25 Dec 2023 20:57 #253075 by Tango91
Howdy. Former 1998 hard-top Jimny owner (and recovering former Disco 2 owner mechanic victim).

I realised not long into owning the Discovery (at about the stage where you have to start selling your organs) that I missed my stupid unreliable G13BB engined Jimny 'Pepper' (photo for reference) even thought it kept blowing up at great expense.

Attachment IMG_2397.jpeg not found

So, with the Discovery moved onto an unsuspecting family member for 1/10th of the money I sunk into the damn thing, I'm looking to get rid of my sensible reliable cheap boring car and back into a Jimny, because I hate having money or free time.

Most of the gen 3 offerings around me fall into one of these categories:

1) Been sat in a field going rusty for a decade, £5-800,
2) Been pimped out into an offroad monster that falls over if you show it a roundabout, £3-5k
3) Stock clean examples in various states of age and mileage, £3-8k

I haven't got a huge amount of cash up front, but one local-ish example has caught my eye, a 2003 O2 soft-top that looks to be an straight car with some honest scrapes and bumps, 108k miles, and the seller is asking £1500. The MOT history hasn't turned up any scary words so I'm considering messaging them once this whole 'Christmas' malarkey is over with.

I gather that the soft-tops were produced in spain and all use the G13 engine instead of the M13? On the one hand I think i could probably get a G13 head stripped and pulled off the block while blindfolded, I'd possibly have liked to see if the M13s came with any of that 'reliability' stuff, or failing that, just the ability to keep the coolant in the cooling system instead of the cylinders.

If anyone has any insights or knowledge specific to the soft-tops that I should be aware of, or would like to tell me I'm being stupid and that I shouldn't do it, please feel free.
I asked my Mrs, and she just rolled her eyes and walked off.

Tommo
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Dec 2023 20:57 by Tango91. Reason: photo didn't work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Dec 2023 21:33 #253077 by mlines
The bulk of the soft-tops were g13b but M13 and m13vvt exist. Officially production ceased in 2003 but it almost seems they carried on building cars out of the parts bin. You get very late registered 2003 cars that probably sat for a while in vehicle pounds and then you get vvt ones which seem to have "overtaken" the g13 cars in the storage

Sent from my ThinkPhone by motorola using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tango91

More
25 Dec 2023 22:44 #253078 by Tango91
Thanks Martin, and Happy Christmas!

Any build quality concerns with the spanish-built ones?

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds