BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Hubs

More
21 Dec 2023 06:28 #252980 by Willjimny
Hubs was created by Willjimny
Hi, yesterday I took my vaccum hubs of my 2006 jimny. I didn’t actually manage to get one of them off as it was stuck. But when I got the offside hub off to expose the driveshaft coming from the diff it would spin freely but wouldn’t turn the prop shaft over, however the near side hub did.
I've done all the basic tests and have come to the conclusion that it is not the transfer box as the front prop locks when you transfer from 2WD to 4WD so there is no problems there I believe. Any suggestions as I have a bad feeling it could be the diff as normally the bare driveshaft that the hub connects to on the wheel should lock whilst in 4WD whereas mine spins freely with slight resistance. Anybody had this problem before. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2023 09:11 #252982 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Hubs
When you turn one driveshaft the other side will be turning backwards. This is normal.

More
21 Dec 2023 13:52 #252988 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Hubs
Hi,

It sounds like the diff to me. In 4WD the front prop shaft should be locked, which yours in, then there should be a lot of resistance to both front wheels.

I don't know if the Jimny suffers from drive shaft problems, if the drive shaft was split or splines at the end were damaged, you would get the same thing. If you removed the drive shaft which spins freely you could tell if it was damaged.

Someone else will know if there are other problems or tests you can do.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
21 Dec 2023 14:44 #252990 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Hubs
I can't quite picture what your are describing. Go through the steps that Facade described in your last post on this issue.
But in short if turning a wheel makes anything else (propshaft or opposite wheel) turn then 4wd is working. With an open differential like you have you can't really have a situation when one wheel does something and the other doesn't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Willjimny

More
21 Dec 2023 19:35 - 21 Dec 2023 19:43 #252992 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Hubs
Put it back together. Open the driver's window and turn the radio off (and the heater fan if it is on max).

Start it up and put it in 4WD.

You should hear "click-click" as the hubs lock, and the green light comes on. but maybe they were locked already from messing.

Push back into 2WD, the light goes out and you hear "clack-clack" as the hubs disengage.

Now try 4WD again, this time they should go "click-click" and the light come on.

If they don't go click-click report back. (yes, the sounds are different!)

If they do go click-click, leave it in 4wd jump out and jack up one front wheel and see if you can rotate it.
If you can't- relax, it is working.

If you can rotate it, we are back to a broken CV, or the diff, or a broken half shaft or the hubs aren't locked. (Maybe they went clack-clack not click-click as the pipes are completely backwards, or even click-clack/clack-click if one side is backwards.

Whichever, if you carefully remove the hubs, you can see if they were locked.
If one or both weren't locked, it is a piping issue.

If both are locked then it is time to get the spanners out.

Pull the short driveshaft first and check the CV, (and the shaft!)

Just remove & hang up the brake calliper, drop the steering joints off the arm, (remove the abs sensor if there is one) remove the dust seal from the swivel housing and remove the kingpins. Then the whole lot pulls off and brings the driveshaft with it. The lower kingpin bearing will be a ball of rust, but catch it  in an old celebrations tub before it lands in the dirt as the swivel comes away. Now you have to fit new kingpin bearings too....

Then pull the long driveshaft and check it

Then pull the diff.

Usually, when a CV goes it affects the steering as the pieces jam as the hub moves lock to lock.
The short driveshaft breaks first as the longer one can twizzle up a bit more and absorb more shock.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 21 Dec 2023 19:43 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Willjimny

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds