BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rainwater ingress - where from?

More
20 Dec 2023 10:48 #252955 by Mabster
Hello advice needed please. My Gen 3 2001 Jimny has sprung a leak, rainwater is trickling down the inside of car on drivers side, emerging from under the cubby hole by the rear door and puddling in the tool well. This rainwater isn’t being forced in when driving, car is stationery, so I’m assuming a seal has gone somewhere local to the puddle? I can’t see anything obvious. Roof lining above is dry. Externally the roof bar fixing onto the roof has a bit of play, is there a fixing point that might allow water in? The side rear window is well fitted and all door seals are intact. Are there any gutters or drains that may have blocked? Any thoughts please?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2023 13:21 #252957 by jackonlyjack
Take out the trim panel 
Could be rusted through behind it. If it's not then put some talcum powder all over and the water ingress will show where it's travelled from 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mabster

More
20 Dec 2023 14:19 #252960 by Mabster
Car was subject to extensive welding a year or two ago, be surprised if that was the root but will take panel off and talcum! I was just wondering if anyone know of any obvious bungs, stoppers or channels nearby that might need maintenance before I took the trim off. Thanks again for taking time to respond.

More
20 Dec 2023 17:42 #252963 by jackonlyjack
Rear light has a grommet behind 
but i doubt water would make it's way into the boot 

More
20 Dec 2023 23:03 #252973 by Mabster
Thank you for the grommet info. I guess it’s off with the panel and out with the talcum powder….

More
21 Dec 2023 00:16 #252975 by Bob1050
I will second the talcum powder technique. Thought for a moment that I had wandered into a Land Rover forum tonight. Solihull really know how to build cars that leak and since purchasing a Jimmy. I no longer look for puddles in the footwells. Just be aware that newly welded seams and adjacent panels are not always 100% watertight but you are doing the right thing in seeking to sort the problem before more (expensive) damage ensues.

More
21 Dec 2023 19:42 #252993 by Mabster
Stripped the interior, no sign of any holes, removed roof rail in case a hole from above - all sound. Removed drivers side rear body light cluster, no obvious leaks. Considering the bolts holding the rear door on may not have a washer / gasket, maybe creeping in through there? Some condensation on the crease of bodywork that forms the door opening drivers side, which is where the water came in. No real conclusion but not devastating.

More
22 Dec 2023 00:50 #253002 by yakuza
Rear door bolts leak would not get inside i think.

Antenna on the roof?

Tried parking the car with a lean to sort out wich side it come from?
Remove door seals and cleaned?

If you wait long enough the black mold will tell where it comes from. That is how I found the leaky roof antenna on my daughters Swift :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds