BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

manualy forcing standard hubs to lock

More
02 Dec 2010 17:59 #6943 by Garry
I has standard hubs for a while when i forst got my Jimny, they were rubbish at best, i then bought over priced Aisin free wheeling hubs of ebay and ran them for a while with no problem, untill the internalls of one decided to have a chew at itself, i now run way old sj permanently locked hubs, there nothing more than a ring that bolts onto the hub, with a little dust/grease cap on the ond of them,

my Jimny isnt my dailly runner so not worried about mpg or wear and tear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2010 18:35 - 02 Dec 2010 18:38 #6945 by facade
I think running locked hubs is a good idea.

Just imagining what must happen when I move the lever into 4wd at 20mph, because the propshaft, diff, driveshafts etc. have to instantly go from stationary to 20mph, whilst sitting in a pool of thick oil at -6 degrees makes me sweat.

No way can that be good for the teeth on the dog clutch.

(and the handbook says you can do it at 60!!!)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 02 Dec 2010 18:38 by facade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds