BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Under sealing

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2019 10:46 - 05 May 2019 17:02 #207361 by Cremator1
Under sealing was created by Cremator1
Hi all Looking to underseal my jimny pressure washed all off this morning going to let fully dry but not sure if I need to treat the surface rust first or can I go straight over it with dinitrol or something like that also not sure what parts I should not put underseal on any advice would be great thank you dawn
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 May 2019 17:02 by Cremator1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2019 17:09 #207389 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Under sealing
Well I pretreat the rust so drying now what do you all recommend for which underseal to use I was going to use dinitrol.many thanks dawn

More
05 May 2019 17:57 #207395 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Under sealing
I would just use a wax over everything you can see with the exception of the exhaust, engine, wheels and brakes. Dinatrol / waxoil etc will be fine.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
05 May 2019 18:04 #207397 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic Under sealing

Cremator1 wrote: Well I pretreat the rust so drying now what do you all recommend for which underseal to use I was going to use dinitrol.many thanks dawn

This is a topic that has been raised before.

Have a search, and you will find a few choices.

Personally, I am going to use Bilt Hamber, Dynax UC, and Dynax S-50.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2019 19:00 #207405 by Cremator1
Hi scimike ok thank u do I need to do in the engine bay or will that be ok

More
05 May 2019 20:26 - 05 May 2019 20:27 #207410 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Under sealing
I personally would stay away from the engine bay, mainly as when I did mine I sprayed it on using a Shultz gun, it throws it everywhere.
So avoid things that get hot or rotate.
Axles, shocks, training arms and every panel underneath you can see etc are all ok to do.
Also if you can get some in the box sections of the chassis and body mounts. The drain holes make perfect access points, but just make sure when you have finished they are not blocked with wax.
Don't forget the front body mounts and just under the headlamps.
It's a messy job, so park over ground you don't care about or use a sheet to cover the floor.
Also have a good laugh at yourself when you have finished, you will look like the underside of the Jimny.
PS yours is not bad in the photos, wax should protect it nicely.

GEN4 owners have a look at the pictures of the surface rust on the welds etc, these are the locations you will see rust first, some visable on GEN3s I have seen at just over 12 months old. Hope the GEN4 is better, but the pictures are a good example of what to look for.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 05 May 2019 20:27 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2019 06:27 #207423 by Cremator1
Hi ok great thank you yes will be using a compressor can you coat the prop shafts .yes mine not to bad at all but thought I would do it before it gets to bad.many thanks dawn

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 May 2019 07:19 #207430 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Under sealing
The only bits I don't deliberately cover on mine are brakes and exhaust. Brakes are obviously not good covered in wax and the exhaust could be a fire risk and it stinks when you burn the wax off. Otherwise everything gets some.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 May 2019 10:29 - 06 May 2019 10:32 #207443 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Under sealing
As far as my current knowledge about rust combat goes, the rust should be 100% eliminated first, either mechanically (sand blasting) or mechanically + chemically (scraping / wire brushing and then "painting" with a rust converter chemical).

Only afterwards it makes sense to apply any protective coating.

Apart from that, all "endangered" welds should also be coated with a polyurethane sealant (through a caulking gun) before any additional layers are applied. As you can see from the pictures, the welds are the most vulnerable points which start to rust first.

Applying any coating over "live" rust carries a high risk of being counterproductive in the long term.
In theory, insulating the rust from oxygen will "pause" it. However, as soon as the insulation diminishes in any way (delaminating, cracking, etc.), rust will get a super boost unseen underneath.

I wrote more about all this in the corresponding wiki article

I do not claim to be a definitive authority on this highly controversial topic in general - I am only trying to assemble the best practices from a myriad of false ones worldwide.
Last edit: 06 May 2019 10:32 by Bosanek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NelsonB

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 May 2019 10:33 #207445 by Cremator1
Hi guys thanks for the input just waiting on stuff to be delivered next week

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds