BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Storage compartment instead of factory trim on the rear door

More
25 May 2018 20:33 #192950 by Bosanek
I am considering removing the factory plastic interior trim from the rear door and installing some tailor-made storage compartment.

Has anyone done this? I would really like to see some interesting solutions and ingenious ideas.

The compartment must not decrease the space in the trunk / boot. In other words, it must not be too thick.

Are there any pre-fabricated solutions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2018 22:40 #192952 by helijohn

Bosanek wrote: I am considering removing the factory plastic interior trim from the rear door and installing some tailor-made storage compartment.

I once had a pair of speakers mounted on a soundboard that I made but TBH there wasn't a lot of room back there.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 May 2018 06:45 #192955 by Lambert
All i have done with mine is removed the heavily moulded plastic and replaced with a flat hardboard trim. It makes more available space in the back that is more versatile than a fixed cubby arrangement.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 May 2018 16:04 - 26 May 2018 16:05 #192963 by X8GGY
When you take the plastic trim off there isn't much useful room to build cubby holes / storage, as there's lots of strengthening bits, a wiper motor and the lock mechanism all in the way -

You'd have to start cutting the inner metal panel out to gain any space? And that would weaken the door with the spare wheel hanging off the back?
Last edit: 26 May 2018 16:05 by X8GGY.

More
26 May 2018 22:20 - 26 May 2018 22:21 #192970 by Bosanek
Well the reason why I am thinking about some DIY interior trim on the rear door is because (believe it or not) I managed to lose the original interior trim!

While I was swapping parts between my old and new Jimny, I left the old trim somewhere outside and someone probably took it away.

I had to transplant the trim from the new car to the old car to be able to sell the old car, and now I am without the trim on the new car.

No automotive junk yard employee over here knows what a "Suzuki Jimny" is. Is that a motorcycle?

So I have to think something out.
Last edit: 26 May 2018 22:21 by Bosanek.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2018 09:17 #192976 by Daniel30
Maybe flat board it and attach some sort of cargo net so that you can still use it for storage.

More
27 May 2018 19:15 #192985 by mlines
I have a scratched/marked door trim if we could find an economic way to send it to you

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds