BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Front wheel hub head cap removal.

• Jimnay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2018 23:24 #190830 by Jimnay
Front wheel hub head cap removal. was created by Jimnay
Hi all, the front wheel hub head caps (hope this is correct name, it is held on by 6 bolts) on my 2008 Jimny are looking very rough. I wanted to remove them to tidy them up and spray them. Question is can they simply be removed without having to remove the wheel? Thanks peeps

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Mar 2018 05:14 #190836 by Lambert
You mean the vacuum hubs, yes the just unbolt. Put a smear of sealant on the mating faces on reassembling.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
25 Mar 2018 10:59 #190845 by Bosanek
Some people call them hub heads, some call them hub caps, and some just call them "hubs" (although saying just "hub" is a rather broad term).

Do like Lambert said, just mark the old position of the hub head on the wheel hub, and return it exactly in the same position after cleaning. It avoids any additional risks of improper mating.

Putting mated things back just as they were after dismantling them is always a sound practice.

• Jimnay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2018 19:36 #190863 by Jimnay
Replied by Jimnay on topic Front wheel hub head cap removal.
Thank you Lambert

• Jimnay
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Mar 2018 19:39 #190864 by Jimnay
Replied by Jimnay on topic Front wheel hub head cap removal.
Thank you Bosanek for the additional tip.
As you all know I am new and just want to apologise for posting in wrong section.
Obviously no one has complained but I guess this sort of post needs to be in Technical and I have found the index now :)

More
26 Mar 2018 06:02 #190882 by kirkynut
They are the automatic freewheeling hubs. They lock by vacuum from the engine pulling bits inside together for them to lock when you want 4wd. So make sure you seal them well with instant gasket such as Hylomar Blue.

Kirkynut

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds