BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

By the skin of my teeth

More
23 Feb 2018 21:54 #189648 by sniper
Hi to everyone,
I've been reading the forum for a few months and have picked up quite a lot from you, technical knowledge is second to none as is the info on suppliers and products. Thanks.
I have decided to modify my jimmy along a similar line to my old road rally cars but on forest suspension as it were, a bit higher than standard but not a lot, good dampers and good tyres. As soon as money allows and they are available, Quaiffe atb diffs will be next.

Well the reason for the post is this, all the parts are on order and the tyres tuned up today BFG AT KM2 in 215/75x15 and just as they did, the weather man was telling me that snow is expected. Thought it would be a positive to chuck the AT's on and get rid of those horrid Duellers, calls round and gets the local pit crew to pop round to fit and balance on my drive (a story in itself).

The car looked ace and I popped out to the local shop and.......... found myself at the end of a local green lane and thought it looked dry....... in the dark......

What an absolute dick of a thing to do, yes it was wide for the first 1/2K but then it narrowed and instead of turning on good ground and pottering back, the way I should, I continued. Ruts started next, too deep so I had to straddle, then mud............ I made it through but by christ I was lucky and this post is part of my penance.

Having gotten excited at the KM2's, it would appear that they have saved me from my own stupidity. I can confirm that they are considerably better that the old AT's in mud.

I will be joining the local green lane club and only playing in the mud at pay and plays in the daylight with recovery available..

Cracking little car, I'm looking forward to having lots of fun in it and hopefully meeting some of you old sage's on the way.

Regards,

Sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2018 00:37 #189650 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic By the skin of my teeth
It all sounds reasonable to me.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Feb 2018 04:53 #189653 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic By the skin of my teeth
Been there before. I too am waiting for the atb prices.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Feb 2018 08:08 #189655 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic By the skin of my teeth
Par for the course innit.:laugh:

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
24 Feb 2018 10:19 #189657 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic By the skin of my teeth
The mess this morning, still can’t believe I was so stupid. I could easily have put the jimmy on its side, the ruts were really bad and organising a recovery would have been a nightmare. Lesson learned :blush:
Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2018 11:36 #189660 by jackonlyjack
All's well that ends well ;)
And if it makes your heart race well that's good for you too :woohoo:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Feb 2018 11:39 #189661 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic By the skin of my teeth
Did you get clumps of mud on the roof? If not then the Jimny was hardly trying!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Feb 2018 12:16 #189663 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic By the skin of my teeth
No Lambert, every other panel but, I think the roof's portion was in my pants.........

Sniper

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2018 18:21 #189669 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic By the skin of my teeth
Wish mine was that clean. :)

More
24 Feb 2018 20:07 #189672 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic By the skin of my teeth
Weclome along. I'll be interested to see how you get on taking the Jimny down the route you intend to. It will be a fresh change from the 'big tyres and lots of lift route' many follow, and I think one that will compliment the Jimny quite well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1066Boy

More
24 Feb 2018 22:41 #189675 by furo
Replied by furo on topic By the skin of my teeth
Hahaha I've definitely been there a few times! It's the main danger of driving a Jimny - you're always tempted to go adventuring when it might not be wise to do so.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2018 01:06 #189676 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic By the skin of my teeth
But if you do go down the route of big tyres and big lift......... Then good luck to you ;)

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds