BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Hi! I've had a cunning plan...

• T88
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2017 09:43 #181292 by T88
Hi! I've had a cunning plan... was created by T88
Hi everybody, my names Leigh, and iv just joined.
I currently dont have a Jimny, however i do have a plan for maybe buying one soon for my "cunning plan", but thought i would ask about for advise
My plan is to build a kit car based on a jimny, but not the usual 4x4 kit, im wanting to... wait for it... build a sports car... no really!!

I get that its not gonna b crazy fast, or fast at that come to think of it. My plan would be to debody it, and create my own retro coupe body for it. I would lower it, fit smaller wheels (think minilites) remove the front prop, help the engine breath better and go from there really.

Does anybody think this is possible or am i nuts? I know its gonna a lot of work but im okay with thats

Anyway,
I look forward to the feed back (be kind haha)
Leigh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 May 2017 12:59 #181297 by Lambert
Almost everyone on here I'd say is more into lifts and rolling about over rocks and such. I however think it is a brilliant idea. I have plans to go down a similar path with mine but leaving the bodywork alone and going further with the 2 wheel drive conversion by removing thefront half shafts, diff, prop and transfer box entirely and driving the rear straight from the main box via a custom prop. A vvt Jimny whilst not super fast, can on the right road be something that will make a hot hatch think. Go for it an give us lots of pictures!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: T88

More
17 May 2017 14:04 #181299 by Keithy
I like nuts.....pcd on wheels.....brake diameters.

Everything is working against you.

You can buy a sports body for the Jimny already.

My idea was a replica Schwimmwagen......or a Willys body in Al

• T88
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2017 14:07 #181300 by T88
Replied by T88 on topic Hi! I've had a cunning plan...
Cheers, been hinting for a suitable platform for a while, most of the usual suspects - triumphs etc- are selling for stupid money these days, but the wee jimny does seem to be about right.
I've done a bit of 4x4ing over the years and i currently run a (wispers quietly) Hilux. Just fancying a bit of a change for some fun, and i recon it could be reasonably nippy with the right mods and hopefully the weight loss.

Leigh

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2017 15:53 #181303 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Hi! I've had a cunning plan...
By the time you have spent loads of money trying to mod the engine to make it a bit quicker you might as well put a 1.6 in it.

Look forward to seeing your new creation B) B)

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2017 16:17 #181305 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Hi! I've had a cunning plan...
Welcome along Leigh. Its a mad plan.........but I like the sound of it. :)
Keep us updated. Allan.

More
17 May 2017 18:23 #181308 by helijohn
I for one love unusual mods. Can't wait to see this.B)

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
17 May 2017 22:06 #181309 by gilburton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationShouldn't be too hard to modify this for a Jimny?

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

More
18 May 2017 00:23 #181310 by Josh101
If you were considering doing your project as a hot hatch it may be far more financially achievable by using a cheaper platform.

Example, I saw this creation on social media

A small Fiesta may make a good chassis for the engine if nothing else, I've seen them go for less than £50 with a dead motor in them.

Food for thought

Also, for the money you can get a huge range of other engines which have a far larger displacement, meaning you wouldn't need to spend all that money on bolt ons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 May 2017 04:33 #181311 by Lambert
It depends entirely on what you want the finished vehicle to do? If you are wanting to go upsetting muscle cars on a roads then honestly start elsewhere. If however you want to head up into the hills on little more than paved green lanes and hoon about well within the speed limit but with a grin on your face that lasts for days afterwards then a stripped out Jimny is a real weapon. Its main advantage is the suspension travel even with the factory components, assuming they are fairly fresh, as on nasty lumpy twisted bits of tarmacadam keeping the wheels down is always a benefit. Then there is the Jimny lack of physical size making it easier to place and also gives you relatively more space and by association more line options. Ok i admit that I am tailoring mine for a very specific set of requirements but it is a brilliant and cheap way of having a laugh while staying on the right side of both the law and also physics. That and it annoys the daylights out of my mate with his 400 hp BMW that he can't use all his power on the roads i insist on driving for pleasure.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 May 2017 08:53 #181375 by Busta
You are never going to get good handling and a nice ride with the high unsprung mass and poor geometry of a solid front axle. If you must do something 4x4 based, a vitara would be a much better starting point as you have IFS and a much lower unsprung mass once the shafts and diff are removed. You have more engine options too.

But I do think it's a silly idea in general. Personally I'd buy an MX5 and call it done.

More
21 May 2017 09:05 #181376 by Busta

11/60 wrote: A vvt Jimny whilst not super fast, can on the right road be something that will make a hot hatch think.

The only thing the hot hatch driver will be thinking is "Why is this guy trying to throw himself in a ditch? Does he know I'm not even trying?" There is simply no contest between a Jimny and any mildly warm hatch.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds