BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

4" suspension lift, 3" body lift?

• mudman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2013 15:45 #95958 by mudman
Replied by mudman on topic 4" suspension lift, 3" body lift?

idiotmobil wrote: im on 3" lift and 235 75 15 (29") they do me ok mite step up to 31s but my tyres are near new

Do the 235s catch im thinking of 235/70/16 still 29" but I want to go a bit wider

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2013 16:15 - 14 Dec 2013 16:16 #95970 by idiotmobil

mudman wrote:

idiotmobil wrote: im on 3" lift and 235 75 15 (29") they do me ok mite step up to 31s but my tyres are near new

Do the 235s catch im thinking of 235/70/16 still 29" but I want to go a bit wider[/quote

Ive done some trimming and offset wheels no rubbing at all I also had same on a 2" lift and no rubbing iver

JIMNYLESS
Last edit: 14 Dec 2013 16:16 by idiotmobil. Reason: added

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2013 16:35 #95977 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic 4" suspension lift, 3" body lift?

mudman wrote:

Do the 235s catch im thinking of 235/70/16 still 29" but I want to go a bit wider

235/70/16 are no wider than 235/75/15.

More
14 Dec 2013 16:59 #95984 by kirkynut
Ok, let's get some clarity here as I think poor Bibby is possibly getting so many opinions it's getting confusing.

You want bigger tyres, so you need a lift. Go with the 4" lift kit from ORA. It's a very good, proven, comprehensive and in the long run cheaper way or doing it, assuming you have the money in one go, which I assume you do as you asked about it.

A 4" lift is a big one in 4x4 terms for any vehicle. You will raise your centre of gravity a lot so the vehicle will be more likely to topple over. You don't want to add to it with a body lift if you don't have to.

The size of tyres is a tricky one and you want to buy right once rather than buy a set & decide they are too small. Tyres are not cheap! I assume you are going to offroad sites.

There are many opinions on tyre size, as you have seen from the replies you've seen.

Are you driving it on the road? If so how far?

I'll come to gearing in a minute but if you want to be able to drive at 50 mph + and maintain it properly on an incline (hgv's do 65 mph and it's scary having them up your arse on a motorway in an ickle Jimjam), you don't want to go much bigger than 29-30".

Others may do it on 31" and be happy but my tyres are 29.75" (malatesta kaiman in 215/80/15) and mine is just about manageable.

If you know you'll never do motorways or dual carriageways for long or trailer it, it's not a worry.

Offroad, yes 31" will be better than anything less as you have more ground clearance, but do you need that much? I argue you don't. I also argue you will get fed up with breaking CVs.

My opinion, and that's all it is, is that the malatesta kaiman in 215/80/15 is the optimum tyre for a Jimny on an offroad site. It gives enough ground clearance with a tread pattern that grips & will not break CVs too often.

You can retain your standard wheels with 215/80/15 too. I'm not sure what size you need wider wheels for after this but that will obviously add to your expense.

If you want even bigger you could get some 16" grand Vitara wheels for 16" tyres & the sizes that are offered in that size.

Now the gearing question. You have indicated you want tyres in the bigger range. You will need a rocklobster for lower low range gears offroad or you will burn your clutch out quickly.

The gearsets you can get for your standard transfer box retain your chain driven transfer box, which is deemed to be weaker than the SJ transfer box the rocklobster is made from, which is all gears and no chain.

Rocklobsters whine somewhat due to old gears mixing with new ones. That's the way it is, you will have to accept it. How much is down to luck & how the new and old gears mesh.

Read the how to guide on the main Bigjimny site under information for fitting an SJ transfer box and send a pm to Redacted on here who will supply you with the rocklobster transfer box & fitting kit for the box & speedo drive but not the propshafts you need and possibly not the flange you need.

Alternatively ORA can do one for you and they sell the flange you need new for about £80. Not cheap but needs must sometimes.

Both Redacted & ORA will be similar in price & will quote you. Who you pick to build your rocklobster is up to you but Redacted was my choice.

A rocklobster gives you slightly lower high range too. Helping on the road with those bigger tyres.

So in short, you will need to pick the bones out of peoples opinions to decide on tyre size. You will need a rocklobster and nothing else will do. A 4" lift on it's own ought to be plenty.

I hope this has helped mate.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2013 17:26 #96000 by TomDK

kirkynut wrote: Ok, let's get some clarity here as I think poor Bibby is possibly getting so many opinions it's getting confusing.

You want bigger tyres, so you need a lift. Go with the 4" lift kit from ORA. It's a very good, proven, comprehensive and in the long run cheaper way or doing it, assuming you have the money in one go, which I assume you do as you asked about it.

A 4" lift is a big one in 4x4 terms for any vehicle. You will raise your centre of gravity a lot so the vehicle will be more likely to topple over. You don't want to add to it with a body lift if you don't have to.

The size of tyres is a tricky one and you want to buy right once rather than buy a set & decide they are too small. Tyres are not cheap! I assume you are going to offroad sites.

There are many opinions on tyre size, as you have seen from the replies you've seen.

I'll come to gearing in a minute but if you want to be able to drive at 50 mph + and maintain it properly on an incline (hgv's do 65 mph and it's scary having them up your arse on a motorway in an ickle Jimjam), you don't want to go much bigger than 29-30".

Others may do it on 31" and be happy but my tyres are 29.75" (malatesta kaiman in 215/80/15) and mine is just about manageable.

If you know you'll never do motorways or dual carriageways for long or trailer it, it's not a worry.

Offroad, yes 31" will be better than anything less as you have more ground clearance, but do you need that much? I argue you don't. I also argue you will get fed up with breaking CVs.

My opinion, and that's all it is, is that the malatesta kaiman in 215/80/15 is the optimum tyre for a Jimny on an offroad site. It gives enough ground clearance with a tread pattern that grips & will not break CVs too often.

You can retain your standard wheels with 215/80/15 too. I'm not sure what size you need wider wheels for after this but that will obviously add to your expense.

If you want even bigger you could get some 16" grand Vitara wheels for 16" tyres & the sizes that are offered in that size.

Now the gearing question. You have indicated you want tyres in the bigger range. You will need a rocklobster for lower low range gears offroad or you will burn your clutch out quickly.

The gearsets you can get for your standard transfer box retain your chain driven transfer box, which is deemed to be weaker than the SJ transfer box the rocklobster is made from, which is all gears and no chain.

Rocklobsters whine somewhat due to old gears mixing with new ones. That's the way it is, you will have to accept it. How much is down to luck & how the new and old gears mesh.

Read the how to guide on the main Bigjimny site under information for fitting an SJ transfer box and send a pm to Redacted on here who will supply you with the rocklobster transfer box & fitting kit for the box & speedo drive but not the propshafts you need and possibly not the flange you need.

Alternatively ORA can do one for you and they sell the flange you need new for about £80. Not cheap but needs must sometimes.

Both Redacted & ORA will be similar in price & will quote you. Who you pick to build your rocklobster is up to you but Redacted was my choice.

A rocklobster gives you slightly lower high range too. Helping on the road with those bigger tyres.

So in short, you will need to pick the bones out of peoples opinions to decide on tyre size. You will need a rocklobster and nothing else will do. A 4" lift on it's own ought to be plenty.

Kirkynut

Agreed, and well written :)

Just one thing to add.
All shocks ORA, bits4vits, Jimnybits, Bigjimny shop and so on are what's considered cheap shocks. They're meant for bigger heavyer trucks, usually american. They have their limitations, and are not suitable for fast competition.

I have a complete ORA 4" suspension lift, and fairly happy with it. just that the front shocks are now way hard enough for a heavy front with winch, bumper and so on, not for competition use.
Just to let you know that there are limitations. If you want better shocks, look at Bilstein. I've found some for universal fitment, that can be valved to exact specification. They're not cheap. But woth considering, if you plan on doing competition. www.bilsteinus.com/products/truck-off-ro...it-remote-reservoir/

More
14 Dec 2013 17:57 - 14 Dec 2013 17:58 #96022 by kirkynut
I've had pro comp shocks have their oil froth up rendering them useless until they cool down and sort themselves out after prolonged heavy offroading. Generally for most peoples use I think they are adequate though Tom. I suspect you use yours a bit more than most!

By the time you've washed up & had a tin of pop at the end of a pay & play day, the rough country shocks sold with most kits nowadays should be fine for the journey home.

Perhaps if it's a concern, speak to Rob @ ORA when ordering to see what shocks he advises for the given application, winch, no winch, speed events, non speed events etc... Speed events in a Jimny though!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 14 Dec 2013 17:58 by kirkynut.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2013 18:10 #96030 by TomDK
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

kirkynut wrote: I've had pro comp shocks have their oil froth up rendering them useless until they cool down and sort themselves out after prolonged heavy offroading. Generally for most peoples use I think they are adequate though Tom. I suspect you use yours a bit more than most!

By the time you've washed up & had a tin of pop at the end of a pay & play day, the rough country shocks sold with most kits nowadays should be fine for the journey home.

Perhaps if it's a concern, speak to Rob @ ORA when ordering to see what shocks he advises for the given application, winch, no winch, speed events, non speed events etc... Speed events in a Jimny though!

Kirkynut

I am building my Jimny for comp use, yes. But needed to start somewhere, hence the N2.0 shocks. But now that learned of their limitations, I just want to let other people know :)

Before I bought them, I told Rob that I probably would need better shocks. Since it was for comp use. He mentioned Fox, which he could supply. But ended buying the N2.0 shocks, due to money limitations :)

For the last couple of weeks, I've spent some time searching the internet for shocks that will fit. I've ended up with to shocks that could work. A Fox 2.0 Emulsion with ext. reservoir, and the aforementioned from Bilstein.

And yes of course you're right. The N2.0 shock is fine for greenlaning and pay n play days.
But with a heavy front like mine, you should pay some attention to how you drive. If going too fast over bumps, the shocks will bottom out. So fitting a longer bumpstop is in general a good idea.

I've just ordered these from the US. A bit expensive, but better bashing these, than the shocks :)

More
14 Dec 2013 18:13 - 14 Dec 2013 18:14 #96031 by kirkynut
I never see your truck in the My Jimny section Tom, by the sounds of it, it's quite an interesting truck! Have I missed it or Fo you have any links to piccies of it?

Sorry to go off topic a little!

Kirkynut

Last edit: 14 Dec 2013 18:14 by kirkynut.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2013 18:19 - 14 Dec 2013 18:22 #96035 by TomDK

kirkynut wrote: I never see your truck in the My Jimny section Tom, by the sounds of it, it's quite an interesting truck! Have I missed it or Fo you have any links to piccies of it?

Kirkynut

Don't think I've ever made a thread in My Jimny. Maybe I should do that :)

Don't have a lot of pics of it. But can upload a few.
As you can read in my signature, it does not differ that much from many other offroad-modded Jimny's in this forum. Other than the winch perhaps :)

But I have a few things planned for it.
Batteries in the back. Will probably do the following week.
OMP internal rollcage.
Bilstein 5165 front shocks.
Energy Suspension bump stops.
Rear diff locker, thinking of trying a Lockright.
Considering fitting a 24 volt alternator for overvolting the winch.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2013 18:22 by TomDK.

More
14 Dec 2013 18:26 #96038 by kirkynut

TomDK wrote:

kirkynut wrote: I never see your truck in the My Jimny section Tom, by the sounds of it, it's quite an interesting truck! Have I missed it or Fo you have any links to piccies of it?

Kirkynut

Don't think I've ever made a thread in My Jimny. Maybe I should do that :)

Don't have a lot of pics of it. But can upload a few.
As you can read in my signature, it does not differ that much from many other offroad-modded Jimny's in this forum. Other than the winch perhaps :)

But I have a few things planned for it.
Batteries in the back. Will probably do the following week.
OMP internal rollcage.
Bilstein 5165 front shocks.
Energy Suspension bump stops.
Rear diff locker, thinking of trying a Lockright.
Considering fitting a 24 volt alternator for overvolting the winch.

Please do a thread in the My Jimny section with piccies. I think a few would like to see it. Everyone has little bits that are individual and interesting & different solutions to issues.

Kirkynut

• Bibby
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2013 22:58 #96087 by Bibby
Replied by Bibby on topic 4" suspension lift, 3" body lift?

kirkynut wrote: Ok, let's get some clarity here as I think poor Bibby is possibly getting so many opinions it's getting confusing.

Kirkynut

holly crap well thank you sooo much that pretty much is all i was asking for i really apreciate it and sorry for being such a beginner everyone :unsure: but never the less i really apreciate you writing that

and i would also love to see your zook tom

More
15 Dec 2013 07:46 #96100 by kirkynut
No probs mate, we all have to start somewhere! This time next year you'll be an expert!

Let us know what you choose to do and give us some piccies to look at of it along the way!

Kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds