BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny gear box conversion

• russell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2013 20:49 #84719 by russell
Jimny gear box conversion was created by russell
Hello people iv raised this point before but not really had much discussion on the subject, right I have just purchased a grand vitara 1.6 to put in my 2000 reg jimny now the original jimny gear box puts out about 65 mph at something stupid like 5-6 thousand rpm if you've seen a vit box it's huge and to graft it in a jimny would be ridicules so has any one broke the two boxs down and tried to swap the ratios or maybe swap top gear from the vit box to the jimny or have any of you tried to fit the end cap of the jimny box onto the end of the vit box to then fit the vit box into the jimny and use the standard t box? Iv herd of a t box mod? Or diff swaps? There's loads of engine info on hear but not many people seem to attack ratio issues and I would like to start a convo on ratios and transmissions before I fit my vit engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2013 21:14 #84739 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Jimny gear box conversion
seen sj box grafted to the back of a Vit box to give you twin transfer box set up

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2013 21:58 #84744 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Jimny gear box conversion
I had a similar convo with a mate the other day when i was coming back from yorkshire dales last week and wanted to get back as time was getting on i was doing mostly 70 @4250rpm it was screaming,be good to have a lower 1st and higher 5th.

• russell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2013 22:03 #84747 by russell
Replied by russell on topic Jimny gear box conversion
Iv got a spare vit box from a 1998 and iv just brought a 2004 1.6 grand vit engine and of corse I'm putting that in the jimny I may have to purchase a jimny box to play with see if I can't swap some bits from the vit box into a jimny box I love my jimny but the one thing it needs is a longer fith gear like the vits have got

• gaz3359
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2013 22:13 #84749 by gaz3359
Replied by gaz3359 on topic Jimny gear box conversion
Sounds like its worth a shot :cheer: i dont use my jimny all the time so it doesnt bother me too much.

• russell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2013 22:16 #84750 by russell
Iv done ashford in Kent to Wales six times off roading in the breacon beacons and plan to continue this voyage over and over and on long journeys she a bit juicey and screams like mad at 60

• Rodden87
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2013 06:47 #84756 by Rodden87
Replied by Rodden87 on topic Jimny gear box conversion
Speak to Redacted a friend with an sj has a twin tranfers box and I'm sure he did it!

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2013 06:54 #84757 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic Jimny gear box conversion
Twin transfer box is do able but does seem like a lot of work plus you still have to find room to get the Vit box into the Jimny and a SJ transfer box I've been watching Redacted on his Facebook page he has been doing something to do with a crawler box but not seen the finished item yet.

• russell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2013 07:33 #84760 by russell
Looking at diagrams of the early bit box fitted to the 8 v and the jimny box I think something can be done to fit better ratios into the jimny box from the vit box of corse I may be proven wrong but I feel this is worth investigating deeper because if you could match the vit 16v with a vit box into a jimny as long as the t box on the jimny dosent offect the ratios to much I think it would leave you with a fantastic setup in the jimny

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2013 16:12 #84798 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Jimny gear box conversion
just fit bigger tyres :)

• Rodden87
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2013 17:01 #84802 by Rodden87
Replied by Rodden87 on topic Jimny gear box conversion

darthloachie wrote: just fit bigger tyres :)

+1 :woohoo:

• russell
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2013 18:57 #84812 by russell
Good point witch I did but tyers big enough to make that kinda difference you end up fitting wheel bearings every three months and you end up pulling away in low range from traffic lights so you don't pull the center out your clutch disc you also lose all your articulation off road don't get me wrong I agree but I think there's got to be a proper way to make it work and as Suzukis seem to go things are pretty swappable

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds