BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Need some basic help

• Carter
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2013 20:17 #84707 by Carter
Need some basic help was created by Carter
Hi there I am thinking about getting a jimny it will be used off road a bit for shooting etc
I will also need it on the motor way a couple of times a month through the season, are they ok for a bit of motorway driving?
I've recently been looking at a soft top one what are the advantages and dis advantages of these over a hard top?
Any help would be great
Thanks
Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wiltec17
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2013 20:34 #84714 by Wiltec17
Replied by Wiltec17 on topic Need some basic help
The guy that owned mine previously took it all over the country, he was a rally marshal. He said it was absolutely spot on wherever he went. Obviously if your planning on modding it, the more off road bias you go the more it will suffer on the road.

Also my parents had a jimny as a daily when is as growing up. Dad used it for shooting, mum used it for the school run, it took us all over the place and never missed a beat, even took us over to guernsey for a family holiday (admittedly it was a little cramped)

• russell
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Sep 2013 22:27 #84752 by russell
Replied by russell on topic Need some basic help
My jimny is heavenly moded and I can say iv done Ashford to Wales six times no bother

More
30 Sep 2013 06:25 - 30 Sep 2013 06:38 #84755 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Need some basic help
With 75-85hp they aren't the most relaxing car to pedal along at 70mph but they are perfectly capable of doing it all day if you can. After a 10hr drive from Wales to Norfolk I was pretty shattered, but on shorter trips it's fine.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2013 06:38 by Busta.

More
30 Sep 2013 18:04 #84808 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic Need some basic help
i hate the word MOTORWAY now

JIMNYLESS

• Little Jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2013 19:52 #84814 by Little Jim
Replied by Little Jim on topic Need some basic help
I haven't had mine long but back lanes or motorway is fine so long as you possess some mechanical sympathy - for me it is long pockets 55-65 on the motorway and she is no trouble at all. I am thinking seriously about wind deflectors now though as the fan/it is not aircon blows air only/ whereas the heater is brilliant.

More
30 Sep 2013 20:06 #84816 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic Need some basic help
I used to do a motorway commute, 38 miles each way, in my Jimny - mind you that was the M25 so 70MPH was just a dream :laugh: :laugh: In the summer I would drop the top and take the back roads across the Surrey Downs instead. If you have to do motorways then a 60MPH cruise is more relaxing and a lot better of the fuel although I do find that almost terminally boring.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2013 20:20 #84819 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Need some basic help

Rhinoman wrote: I used to do a motorway commute, 38 miles each way, in my Jimny - mind you that was the M25 so 70MPH was just a dream :laugh: :laugh: In the summer I would drop the top and take the back roads across the Surrey Downs instead. If you have to do motorways then a 60MPH cruise is more relaxing and a lot better of the fuel although I do find that almost terminally boring.

I do the M25 a fair bit in the J coupled with a few long trips, like to Norfolk. Can be very tiring but the J does not complain.

I am with you though, the back roads through the Surrey hills is a lovely drive and always try and do that instead of the M25 if possible.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds